1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When job posts say "No phone calls, please," does no really mean no?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, May 13, 2010.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I'm still in a position where I hire people and i hate when people call, when i ask not to. Seriously. Send an e-mail.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

let's see -- I'm understaffed as it is, most jobs are getting upwards of 60-100 resumes, i've got about three meetings a day that I have to go to whether I want to or not -- yeah, call me if the job ad says no calls. that's the quickest way to get your resume tossed.

3. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

can I send a text instead?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I can see which way the sentiment is leaning here. But those of you who have vigorously defended the no calls policy, I have to ask -- do you call or e-mail the applicant to let them know you either received their resume or have passed them over? I know some do, but not everyone does.
    Put yourself in this person's shoes. They may not have a job and the clock is ticking on the next rent payment. Or they're a recent college grad getting the "When are you going to move out?" look from their parents. They send out a resume and then don't hear anything for three weeks, one way or the other. Getting someone on the phone, even when it says no calls, is the quickest way to get some sort of resolution.
    I've applied for plenty of jobs where I wondered if my resume got lost in the mail. Once, I got a phone call from a paper I sent a resume to about six months earlier. As an applicant, it's beyond frustrating.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hope that was directed to 2underpar. Because I'm laughing hysterically over here. :)

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone much cares about the applicant's frustration, honestly.

7. I always thought it was very professional to at least send out a form email or a card saying that they received my resume and it was under review. I remember the Indianapolis Star always did this. In fact, I could have wallpapered my bedroom with Indianapolis Star application received cards. The most professional places sent out emails that the job had been filled. Other professional businesses do this sort of thing. So should this one.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm going to make this short and sweet:
    NO MEANS NO!

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I once interviewed with a guy who said he'd call me, then didn't because he wanted to test how long it'd be before I called him to see why he hadn't called me.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, there are jackasses like that. They treat job hunting like its a big freaking game. It is not a game.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

It was

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Nope. It's all a trick, their way of weeding out the passive people. You call, and you call often. Show them the rules aren't for you. Ideally, you'll get the contact's home and cell numbers and call those, too. Often.

Draft saved Draft deleted