1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When it goes from being a ton to being a mountain

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tonysoprano, Jun 12, 2007.

1. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Well, I've never done this, and know what responses may follow (I can handle it, though..... ;D)

Wanted to get any insight, advice, or thoughts on the following - At my paper, a rather large daily, we've reduced our staff substantially, but now most of us, individually, are doing the work that used to be dispersed among 3 or 4 others. It is draining, it is mind-numbing, and constantly challenging to juggle so many duties, and still produce quality stuff. But I bite down and accept it. The world we work in (and I quite frankly am just thankful to have such a great job with the pressures that papers are under). But here recently it appears more work could be piled on me to the point where it could be way too overwhelming, and not even manageable. It's a great opportunity, but in my mind, I'm going, "My gosh, I don't know if I can handle all that."

Can anyone else relate??

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The problem with the staff reductions (among many) is managers not making decisions about what not to no longer cover. No direction is given. It is subtly implied to do everything you used to do, but with a smaller staff. Make the cuts in coverage that you need to that will have the least impact on the overall quality in the product. Just like managers are doing with staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted