1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When is it time to get out?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by agateguy, Jul 1, 2008.

1. What kind of job do you have now?

If you're young enough and far down the chain and this committed to this, you should try to get into the Columbia University masters program. It's a hefty price tag for what we get paid, but it'll give you a fighting chance.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jesus... Sounds like sports journalism is like heroin for this kid...

Hey, I admire the passion... I also want to slap you for how wrong you are... :D

Prove us all wrong... I honestly really hope you do.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

From what I can tell, those who arent married are a little more willing to wait this thing out.

Those of us with greater responsibilities (meaning a family) cant afford to take the risk.

That's why I get so mad when I read posts that say: Just be happy you have a job.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Just had a reminder right now of why I should get out. Good friend called and wanted me to attend his big Fourth of July bash. I can't because I have desk duty that day. I know I get overtime, but I always feel this wave of loneliness wash over me on holidays where I have to work. It's just not healthy.

5. Mizzougrad96

Exactly.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

See. I'm in a shithole because I have no idea where to go from here. Just out of college, I know nothing more than what I learned from my college education (B.A. English/Writing) and sports journalism. I never anticipated the industry to be in it's in now when I graduated. If I plan on being fired within a few years or being paid near poverty level wages because I'm young, it's not worth it. I just don't know where to turn from here.

I'm not over-worrying, but it's just a thought that rings in the back of my mind when I see threads like this.

7. Mizzougrad96

You're not over-worrying. You're being smart. Better to switch fields when you're young enough to go back to school.

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Not enough money to afford another four years of school or even a graduate degree. One of the main problems I struggle with is what an appropriate graduate degree would be to ensure that I could stay within a communications/writing/sports field. I thought a masters in PR or organizational communications, but I should probably sought some of the threads about graduate degrees.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Mizzou is right on. Cause when you get to be my age, going back to school becomes a lot more complicated.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Look into public policy or public administration. A lot of PR-type jobs with the government require those types of masters.

11. captzulu

captzulu Member

I think you are actually in a better position than most, because you're just out of college, you're young and cheap. If you want to get into PR or communications, a lot of places would be more inclined to take someone like you -- someone who can write and edit -- and train you in the other aspects of those lines of work. And you're also not that far behind others who are just starting out in those fields, because they have limited experience as well. The longer you wait, though, the bigger that gap becomes. Right now, you also don't have to worry about taking a paycut to change careers.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I am an advocate for an MBA, having gotten one myself. You can get one relatively cheap if you want; it's not that difficult; it doesn't take a lot of time; and it's so broad that it appeals to employers across the board.

Draft saved Draft deleted