1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When is it time to get out?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by agateguy, Jul 1, 2008.

1. agateguy

agateguy Member

How do you know when it's time to get out of the industry and move on with your life?

Are all of the mass layoffs within the industry the definitive sign?

Or rumors of more impending head-chopping?

Or, the environment in which you work?

When do you know for certain it's time to get the hell out and start looking for something else?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

GET OUT. NOW! WHILE THERE'S STILL TIME!

I'd say poisonous working environment, prospect of additional layoffs and the possibility of more newspapers going under are signs we need to get the Hell out now.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

For me, it's all of the above.

I want out.

4. azom

azom Member

The analogy I use is pretty simple:

At every job, you hold two buckets. One is full of money, the other is full of shit. When the shit bucket outweighs the money bucket, it's time to move on.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I like that analogy.

I was getting to that point at my last shop, but then I got a new newspaper job and the shit bucket is much emptier.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Where the hell are you working that the money bucket is full? Unless it's like one of those kiddy sand pails, and even then, it's gonna have to be mostly filled with small change.

Maybe that's a sign, huh?

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

When you start asking yourself questions about when you should get out, you should think about trying to get out. The subconscious knows what it's doing.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Um, I had enough room in the money bucket that I've been keeping some of the overflow from the shit buckets (three) in there. Arm getting tired ...

9. captzulu

captzulu Member

I like the buckets analogy, except perhaps replace the money bucket with a "rewards" bucket -- be it psychological or financial rewards. I pretty much decided it was time to go when the shit bucket grossly outweighed the rewards bucket at the paper I worked at, and I looked around the industry and saw that every other place was either like that or on its way to becoming like that in a few years. It was one of the few instances where foresight was 20/20.

10. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

At my last job, without talking too much about it, there was an "A-ha" moment. At this job, it's been more subtle.
    Basically, there comes a point where you realize that you're tired of the hours, the bullshit, the management, the lousy money, and you get to the point where they're talking about layoffs, and you actually start thinking, "Gee, that might not be so bad..."

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I want out too... I might be able to hang around for a few years, but I don't want to be looking for a new career in my 40s. I figure the sooner you get out, the better.

The atmosphere for almost everyone in this business is just poisonous right now. A friend of mine, who had been at the same paper for 20 years was just fired for a bullshit reason shortly after not taking a buyout. His severance package is about half of what it would have been when he left and he has two kids in college. He's in his 50s and going to another paper would require him to move, which he doesn't want to do.

Get out now. Wondering around the clock how much longer you're going to have a job is no way to live.

As one of my friends says, "Every time my boss says my name, my heart skips a beat, because I'm sure I'm the next one gone."

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've been down this road before but will repeat. If I had to list my top reasons for leaving a business I loved for so long, the "economic climate" would occupy almost all the slots.
    I was going to get cut or I was going to have to cut someone who didn't deserve it because of the "economic climate." No way. I would have been gone either way because of my promise to go myself before cutting a staffer who didn't deserve it.

I kiss the ground every day for my good fortune of being able to find a job I love in the city I live that didn't require me to take a pay cut.

I truly admire those who say they are going to ride this out. I have friends in the biz now who have years of service and are excellent, truly excellent, at what they do. And they fear for their jobs. That's fucked up.

Draft saved Draft deleted