1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When HGH is necessary - Irony of ironies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colonel Forbin, Jun 14, 2006.

1. With Grimsley-gate in full effect, the timeliness of this could not be better/more ironic. It's been observed or joked that HGH/steroids/performance-enhancing drugs don't always work, as in the case of the minor leaguers who never make it to the Show. But at least they look like guys.

I recently found out that I had virtually NO testosterone in my body. And without divulging my age, I'm pretty young. Reading up on the name of the condition - hypogonadism - it all makes sense (muscle loss, can't grow a beard, some loss of memory and concentration). In cases like these, the testicles are essentially useless peanuts in a sock dangling near the bottom of my pelvis.
    But the ironic part of this is that I will most likely need horomone therapy of a kind to help replace what's just not there. No, I'm not a baseball player, but I am an athlete on the side.

Perhaps, however, the most disturbing part of this all is how it makes me feel exactly unlike a man. Primo Levi wrote the book, "Survival in Auschwitz" - but its actual title was, 'If this were a man'. Well, not to come too close to compare this to Holocaust-level proportions, I'm not sure I can look in a mirror until any sort of therapy gets underway...because a picture of this person typing is, in some way, not a man. For if this typer were a man, he would certainly have a beard, and arms with more circumference than a pilsner glass.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your diagnosis. Nothing I can say will make you feel better, but testosterone does not the man make. There are many other male hormones which you are in possession of. What the ballplayers are doing is taking too much of one male hormone, which is busting up the whole balance - hence the shrinking problem you always hear about. Don't put too much stock in the single hormone of testosterone. You will find a good doctor, get good treatment and start to feel much better, I AM SURE.

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

This is a horrible situation to be in. I hope things have gotten better for you since this topic was started.

Draft saved Draft deleted