1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When does something become a cliche?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I seriously hope you're joking.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's the cliche that I still hear people who should know better using as though it weren't one.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, I get it... I'm a bit slow... :)

I read that and thought, "Does someone actually think I'm ragging on S.L. Price?"

The guy is one of the best in the business. It just happened to be something in his story that made me pause.

I agree that most coaches can't say something original unless their lives depended on it. That's why I think we need to appreciate the guys like Rex Ryan who actually show their personality, rather than just spewing cliches.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Jesus, Mizzou, trying to figure out when something is a cliche or not is a matter of taste and it separates the great writers from the decent writers (and that was a cliche, but I don't give a shit, which is a cliche as well).

I would say timing has a lot to do with it.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing" is a cliche, but if I heard a 4-10 girls high school basketball coach say it, I would use it. Rex Ryan, probably not.

You also have to know your audience. Some people know the "Who is this Baby Ruth, and when can I meet her? " quote a lot more than others.

Draft saved Draft deleted