1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you notice you were getting old?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 3, 2012.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I started feeling really old when I began covering games of high schoolers whose parents I covered when they were in school.

And I'll echo the amusement park comment from LongTime Listener. Now that my son is a teenager and loves the fast rides, I can't ride them any more without feeling dizzy and/or sore afterwards.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'll third the amusement park rides comment. Used to love the roller coasters, fast spinning rides, etc. Now that my kids are old enough to ride them, time for me to sit out. Rode some last summer and felt the dizziness/nausea ... :p

As far as trends, technology, taste ... I've been an old man since I was 18!!! (that was more than two decades ago, BTW)

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The day I played in a softball game at a picnic. Got a hit to left field. Started running, made it to first base. My legs were killing me as soon as I stopped.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It's probably been 20 years (and I'm 55 now).

I've never been an athlete. I did enjoy playing slow-pitch softball as an adult. Not a great player, but not bad. You would win with me on your team. I played on a work team and one with some friends. I could hit a little. One year, I "managed" our team and didn't play as much so other guys could play. Still led us in RBI. I was primarily a pitcher. Not a gold glover but I could handle myself. Decent reflexes. Could knock down balls. Could throw you out.

One night, I almost got killed 3-4 times. Bullets back through the box that I wasn't picking up until it was almost too late. One I never saw but felt whizzing past my ear.

That was it. Reflexes pretty much gone. Wasn't going to take a line drive to the head back through the box. I quit playing cold turkey.

Now that I AM old, the list is just too long to list.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

40 is sort of the turning point. After that, it became so much easier to pull a muscle, wrench my back or things like that. Never had issues before that, then some of the most mundane activities could knock me down for a day or two.

So, it's the physical stuff, post 40, that brought me to the realization I'm getting old.

And when certain people die who I recall from my youth--athletes, musicians, celebrities, that's a jolting reminder that I'm getting mortal. It's not everyone, but every once in a while I'll see that someone dies and it just piercingly registers, along the lines of 'damn, he/she was young when I was young, and now they're dead.....'

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

When I had to stop at four at the orgy.

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This past year I've been about the most active I've ever been -- swimming three to four miles a week, playing racquetball two or three times a week and walking a few miles any chance I get -- and I gained weight. Didn't seem like it was muscle either.

Had our third baby in August and he's been about the best sleeper of the bunch from the start but those first three months felt like I was living a coma. That never happened with the other two, and the second didn't sleep at night until he was 5 months.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

2004, sitting in the theatre with my nine-year-old daughter watching Ella Enchanted and thinking to myself how well endowed Anne Hathaway seemed to be in that movie.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Whenever I start to get old, I just stop and get more awesome.

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

This. I was in my late 30s.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'll let you know.

Made a decision years ago to not end up allowing my work life to adversely affect my health, as the sports journalist stereotype would seem to dictate.

The natural aging process cannot be stopped. But I sure as heck don't plan to help it along.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Just turn the music up louder (because I can't hear it otherwise) and workout longer (because I lose track of time)

Draft saved Draft deleted