1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you notice you were getting old?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 3, 2012.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I still see a 25-year-old when I look in the mirror, but I realize a lot of those smiles from young women I get are now the kind they'd give their grandpa, not a person of interest.

Couple of things lately: 1) Restaurant personnel in their 20s have started calling me "young man." I can't tell you how much I've always hated this, when then did it to my mom (young lady, obviously), my former mother-in-law, whoever. Hate, hate, hate.

2) The other day I'm doing a hill workout on the only hill within 20 miles of my home, and this heavily tatted young woman and her sister come into the park. The young woman is shooting video, shooting herself, her sister, all around her in this park, which is empty at 7:15 in the morning except for me.

So as part of my recovery loop, I run toward them, and she says into the camera, "Here comes an old man jogging." I go past, turn around to do another hill repeat, start jogging back down for my recovery, and she says into the camera, "Here comes that m*th*rf*ck*ng old man again." So I do another repeat, jog back down, and she says, "Here comes that old man AGAIN. I might have to jump his shit."

So I'm the jogging old man (even though I look 25). (As an aside, last time I run past, I take a chance and say, "Am I going to be on YouTube? Hope it's viral by noon." And she says, "Oh, no, it's for my family to send them from my first day in Florida. I just moved here ... to study architecture." (!) So I tell her good luck, and she says, "Thank you sir! God bless."

To the m*th*rf*ck*ng old man she says this.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I've always loved amusement parks, and now that my boys are old enough to do the big rides, it was great taking them.

Until the next day when I woke up and could barely turn my neck.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, but it's not a big deal if a golfer is under 40.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'll never feel old as long as I'm living with Methuselah JR. :D

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

:)

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When I turned 40 ... four years ago.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why do you think I picked a golfer instead of a running back?

8. Mizzougrad96

I'm 38. I am curious how many NFL players there are who are older than I am. I'm putting the over/under at about 12, although kickers might make that a little higher...

9. Mizzougrad96

I was close...

It's nine, and five are kickers... :D

For the 2011 NFL season, the following players were the oldest in the NFL:

John Kasay, 2011 New Orleans Saints (42) Position: Placekicker
    Jason Hanson, 2011 Detroit Lions (41) Position: Placekicker
    Mark Brunell, 2011 New York Jets (41) Position: Quarterback
    Jon Kitna, 2011 Dallas Cowboys (39) Position: Quarterback
    Adam Vinatieri, 2011 Indianapolis Colts (38) Position: Placekicker
    Kerry Collins, 2011 Indianapolis Colts (38) Position: QB
    Olindo Mare, 2011 Carolina Panthers (38) Position: Placekicker
    Casey Wiegmann, 2011 Kansas City Chiefs (38) Position: Center
    Brian Dawkins, 2011 Denver Broncos (38) Position: Safety

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't feel a day over 25. And I will continue to remain age-defiant as long as I can.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Mizzou, Carleton Fisk caught 106 games at 43 years of age so you've got a few good years left.

I started to feel old when I could no longer run a sub-40 10K, in my mid-40s. Now I can't run at all and it seems as if every joint in my body cracks and pops, except for the titanium one. That feels great!

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

High school = 5 minute miles

College = 6 minute miles

20s = 8 minute miles

30s = 10 minute miles.

Draft saved Draft deleted