1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did you know your spouse was 'The One?'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 27, 2012.

1. dieditor

dieditor Member

I have that same thought every day. But I'd have to say I knew my wife was "the one" when I thought about Nicholson's line in "As Good as it Gets": she made me want to be a better man. She was/is the girl I'd ever met who really made me feel like that.

Is it dusty in here?

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I don't know exactly when but I do like to think I did a decent job with the proposal.

We met doing community theater, and even had a kissing scene, which, it turns out, actually led to our relationship to begin with. We started dating shortly after our play wrapped.

Anyway the director of our play happened to be the president of the local performing arts board, and my future wife and her were pretty good friends. So she thought nothing of it one day when the director asked my wife to meet her at the theater. It was just them and there was a set built on stage for a play that was getting ready to premier. They were talking and walked up onto the stage, and there was a chair on the set, so the director played cool and asked my wife to have a seat because she had to grab something backstage "real quick". My wife admits she didn't have a clue something was going on, even though the stage lights were on, with a spotlight on the chair.

My wife sat down and waited, and a few seconds later I walked out from backstage, got on one knee and the rest is history.

I was supposed to be out of town that weekend so she was pretty surprised to see me emerge from the curtains. She was even more surprised when she saw the ring.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

At an early stop in my career, there was this very attractive photographer at my paper. She and I both worked Saturdays and we would often get stuck going oddball assignments together. One day she suggests we do something together on a Monday since we both have that as a day off. I'm pretty excited about it.

In the meantime, I meet another woman and make a plan for the Sunday before my date with the photographer. Tall. Beautiful. Funny. Bad enough taste in men to be interested in me. She wanted to check out the museum near her apartment. She had just moved to town about a month earlier. So we had lunch and went to the museum. Then we went for a walk. Then we rented Carlin at Carnegie (I think that might have been THE moment.) We just kept finding things to do, as if neither one of us was ready for the date to end. We spent the entire day and evening together, then made a plan to see one another the next weekend.

The next morning, I keep my plan with the photographer. Feeling has completely changed. Still friendly, but my interest beyond that is gone. All I keep thinking about is the other woman. As soon as I get home, I call her and ask if we can get together that night instead and she agrees. The next day, I make this extremely romantic gesture. Totally out of character for me. (No, I am not going to tell that story). By the end of the week, we decide to stop seeing other people. Our 13th wedding anniversary is this summer.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Waiting for a bright light to say, "When she knew."

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

When she fought Agent Smith and won.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

When I looked atop my right arm and saw the sinewy fingers the supple palm. I knew right then that was the one fear I would like.
    [/versatile]

7. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

There are some great stories on this thread. I hope to have one of mine own to share someday.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

The first time I saw her, she was walking into the school newspaper office wearing a 1961 Yankees jacket. That, I said to myself, is one cool chick. Then I saw her at our paper's annual year-end formal dinner in May, and she was really pretty. But she introduced some dude to me as her boyfriend so I figured that was that and went on boinking anything that moved, b/c everyone on campus wanted to do the sports editor. :D

That fall, I was jaywalking across the main street on campus and I began crossing as she drove by. By the time I got to the other side of the street, I saw the bumper sticker on the back of her car: FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS VOTE REPUBLICAN. Extremely cool chick.

Shortly after that, she won our weekly football pool at the office, She came up to me and said "BYH you owe me two bucks." I made a big, tongue-in-cheek stink out of how I couldn't believe we not only let a girl into the pool but that she won. She thought I was cute, and asked the news editor if I was seeing anyone. Apparently she had broken up with her boyfriend.

A week or two later, our friend made sure we were at the same Happy Hour, during which she came up to me and said "Wanna go to Shea Stadium and wait for the strike to end?" (This was in 1994)

We had our first official date two weeks later, but I knew long before that I had found the woman I was going to marry. Ten years this summer.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

She moved from D.C. to the Bay Area and met my BF's wife and BF's family through a family friend. A couple of months later she moves to SF and my BF asks me to driver he down to his Christmas party (so she can meet someone else they have in mind!!) I call her up to talk logistics and end up on the phone for 3 hours and make a date before the party. We go to dinner in SF and we spend the next 17 years together. I proposed three weeks later and we were married 8 mos later. No she was not pregnant, she just said either we get married within a year after the proposal or we don't get engaged. I was 32 and had already been through various relationships and was open to find her. I love her more today than yesterday (cue Ambrosia).

When did I know? When that 1st night when she told me her fav at the time was Van Morrison's Poetic Champions Compose which was mine as well at that time. Hard to believe.

10. lono

lono Active Member

We walked into a club one night, just as the Del Lords were opening for Los Lobos.

As we entered the front door, the Del Lords kicked off with the introductory chords to "How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live?"

She turned to me, blue eyes wide and alive, and said, "Oh, my God, they're playing Blind Alfred Reed!"

I'd have gone to the jeweler the next morning if she wanted to.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

We just fit together. After a not that long together, I realized something was missing when we got off the phone and it was saying 'I love you'. We've been inseperable since date two of our courtship. I don't think there has been a day since our second date that we haven't seen each other or spoken.

Dr. J: I'm still trying to figure it out.
    After some prodding, he says I'm the only girl he wanted to spend time with more than his friends.

12. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Not ''spouse'' yet, but she will be soon. Anyhow my story is kind of silly and minor, but I like it.

This happened about three months into our relationship. I work overnights. At the time she worked a second job at CVS. Her Tuesday night shift usually ended right around 10:00 and we would generally text/talk on the phone as she wrapped up her shift and went home. This particular night her phone died during work, but I didn't realize it. So, I basically couldn't reach her for a period of several hours. And I just had this overwhelming fear that something had happened to her. Of course, nothing did, I was just being paranoid. But the feeling I had that night was nothing I had ever felt before about someone. Knew then I couldn't be without her.

That's my sappy story. Love this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted