1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When did LOST jump the shark?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But that's what's so funny about the show, is what a tedious, sophomoric and pretentious prank the whole thing turned out to be.

It was enjoyable from episode to episode certainly, from nonsense puzzle to nonsense puzzle, but from the moment they showed the cover of The Third Policeman, it was apparent what was going on.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I loved "Lost" and was in right until the end. It wasn't perfect but it kept me coming back to see what happened next because I got invested in the characters and their fates.

And JR honey ... "mindless entertainment" and "endless blather" describes my feelings for you some days. :D

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The moment they realized they didn't have an ending to the show that worked.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In part, at the very start because they threw a lot of stuff out there which they could never tie up.

I loved the first season and was hooked thereafter. But one of the reason why I am not generally a fan of sci-fi is that the rules of logic can simply shift whenever the author feels like it. I think that Lost did a decent job of it most of the time, but anything to do with the Others (why did Ethan have super strength?), Ben and Jakob got a little off of the rails.

I hated the last season, but I think that I would have been disappointed with the end regardless.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, this irks me, too, when it comes to a lot of science fiction. Apparently there are some alternate sci-fi rules that sci-fi fans will use as grounds to defend leaps like John Locke really being a shape-shifting bad guy. Shape-shifting is what turned me off of "True Blood," for example, because at that point, it's like anything goes. And if anything goes, there's no more dramatic tension to sustain the plot.

Except for Kate, I never stopped enjoying the characters.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yep

But for a few years, it was an amazing ride.

Draft saved Draft deleted