1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When baseball parents become stupid

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

So.....I'm umping 14 and under fastpitch softball today. 16 and under and 18 and under tournament going on 3 other fields.

On our field, we hear a hell of a commotion;

Story I hear is this;

Coach A is mad because the first baseman from team b applied a hard tag on one of Team A's players. Umps didn't think so. He comes out of the dugout fuming saying there going to get someone hurt, and generally going off. Ump tells him to calm down, coach says "Gawd-dammit, don't you tell me to calm down."

Ump tells him one last time to calm down, he continues to go off, so Coach A gets dumped.

ON HIS WAY OUT OF THE COMPLEX, he walks through the other teams stands, and starts mouthing off to them. One of the fans tells him to quit being a dick. Fan from Team A's side gets up, and starts yelling at the other guy to quit calling him a dick; Other fan says what are you going to do about it?

Then; It becomes Royal Rumble;

4 guys are pushing/shoving, and then 3 punches get thrown. Bodies going everywhere. But, here's where it gets stupid.

Coaches from the field go into the stands try to break it up. Other umpires who were either watching the game, or overheard the commotion from the umpires lounge try to break it up.

The grand-daughter of the guy running the tournament happens to be 7 months pregnant, and she tries to get in the middle and break it up, well, she takes a shot to the stomach.

They rush her to the hospital, but it turns out that all is well.

Freakin' disaster.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You should have diffused the situation by telling them about the time you performed surgery on your foot.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Obviously the primary cultprits here are the neanderthal males, but what does one woman -- especially a third-trimester preggo -- think she's going to accomplish by going into the middle of that?

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Had my own near-mishap at the first game of a tripleheader yesterday.

Parents from the losing team were bitching about the coaches from another team taking "four minutes" to huddle up before the bottom of their inning. Because they took a fairly long time between half-innings, I only gave their pitcher four warm-up pitches.

Problem for the parents was the umpire supervisor was right there and he had my back. As they were bitching to me, he was 1) telling them in not so many words they were full of shit and 2) telling me I did fine.

My doubleheader today included three teams that were among the best behaved of any teams I'd ever umpired. However, even the last game didn't go off without a hitch. The commissioner bumped the second game back by half an hour and one of the teams didn't even hear about it until they got to the field. I didn't hear about the time change until after my first game was done.

Anyway, one of the assistant coaches was running the team that knew about the change and he was getting into it with one of the assistant coaches of the other team. I finally got to a point where I snapped, "Enough!" Had the coach continued to bitch after I said that, I would have tossed him before the game started.

Some parents need a brain transplant. Maybe you should learn how to do those, Chef? ;)

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He'd use his other toe, and whomever got it would end up with the better end of the deal

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Did you offer to give the umpire's home address to the parents if they wanted to go talk some more at his home?

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

Bastard.

Bastard.

Bastard

Bastards all 3 of ya.

:)

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am more concerned that this league is so serious that it has an "umpires room".

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Not the league; When the complex was built, they built an umpires room.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Exactly.

12. If I saw a bunch of douchebag coaches get into a brawl with people in the stands, I'd just stand back and laugh. Might ask someone to call the police...well, probably now.

I was always proud of my quick trigger finger. Coaches liked to call it my "rabbit ears," I preferred to say it was my non-verbal way of saying "Oh, you're gonna try bullying me? Go fuck yourself, dick."

Draft saved Draft deleted