1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When ad asks for resume only

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jakewriter82, Apr 2, 2007.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Do they just want the resume and then ask for your clips later, or should you send your resume and clips no matter what the ad says?
    I'd assume it can't hurt to send your clips with your resume wherever you apply, but maybe places ask for just a resume for a reason.

Thoughts anyone?

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Depends. If they specifically say resume only, just send your resume - no clips or attachments. They want to know you can write, but they also want to know you can follow directions.

Seemed strange to me the first time I saw it on an ad, but apparently my resume was good enough - I got a reply asking for my clips to be sent and ended up getting a job offer at the end of it.

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Yeah. This is a no-brainer. Like when the ad says "no phone calls." just follow the instructions.

4. boots

boots New Member

sounds basic to me but I've been known to take a chance and go against the grain sometimes.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

You'd be amazed how many people are brainless enough not to figure that out.

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Send the resume only.

They aren't planning on wading through a series of clips until they're narrowed their list of candidates.

So don't try to push your case going outside what they have asked for. But do follow up with a phone call or email a few days or a week later, asking a) Did you receive my resume? and b), Do you have any questions or anything else you'd like?

7. Pops

Pops Member

If your resume sucks, it will get pitched whether you follow the exact directions or not. But I don't see much harm in attaching clips if it asks for resume only. If I ask for five clips and Johnny Numbnuts sends 12, though, I wonder whether he'll be turning in 30-inch gamers too.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

both show you can't follow simple instructions

Draft saved Draft deleted