1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wheeling Jesuit lacrosse player beaten to death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Sep 2, 2013.

1. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

What I found interesting was the description of the assailants in the story:

http://www.theintelligencer.net/page/content.detail/id/589259.html

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

They just made a criminal of every white male in Wheeling with brown. I am sure the police will be going to door-to-door with batons and beating every one of them.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why does the description interest you?

4. BenPoquette

I found it interesting because in the thread about the Australian baseball player, that turned into yet another rehashing of the Trayvon Martin - George Zimmerman incident, it was mentioned that the race of both parties was not mentioned in early stories...and here we have the first story about a senseless murder and the journalist felt it necessary to mention the assailants were white. Just thought it was interesting and wondered if the writer was a member of these boards.

I actually thought the mention of them being white looked out of place or strange.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Concerned, as usual.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Of course they mentioned the race of the assailants. They're on the loose. The description is offered to aid in their capture. Same as it should be for any such case.

7. BenPoquette

I completely agree...you just know one of the three they are looking for is going to sell out the other two to save himself. At least I hope that's what happens.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Just curious..... when you write a sports story involving players of different races, do you identify their races?

9. BenPoquette

No. Never crossed my mind to do so.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As someone from the news side, that description was ridiculous and stood out as such. It does absolutely nothing to aid in their capture -- unless you plan to call police if you see a white man in his 20s, possibly wearing a cap.

Race is worth mentioning as one aspect of a decent description. It is not worth mentioning otherwise. The description in this article is too vague to be of any use, so including the race -- whatever it may be -- is pointless. "Black man, 20's, medium build, wearing a t-shirt and jeans" is a useless description, so including the race serves no purpose other than to be potentially inflammatory. "Black man, 20's, 6'8", 200 lbs, shaved head, tattoo of a butterfly on his left arm" is a strong description, so race absolutely should be included in it.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I can't confirm the veracity of this without seeing the first story written about the other case.

12. BenPoquette

A couple of weeks after the shooting...

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-02-29/news/os-fatal-shooting-sanford-townhomes-20120226_1_gated-community-death-sunday-night-shot

Draft saved Draft deleted