1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wheelchair Access Public Toilets

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

???

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Well, I am a lady. And we do not do the sorts of things in a public bathroom that men do. But at times, it is unavoidable. And when that happens, I need to be at the stall at the end that no one dares venture towards when the door is closed. This is an unwritten rule in the land of ladies room etiquette.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's handicapped accessible, not handicapped only. Do whatever you need to do in thre and don't worry.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Maybe they have the sticker because their spouse or other family member is handicapped and that person is not with them.

In California, and I'm sure other states, it's illegal to use the handicapped parking spot when the person it was issued to is not with you, even if you have the placard.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's not like parking spaces. Usually there's one handicapped-accessible crapper in a restroom that may have 2-5 stalls. If the choice is using one of them or shitting myself, well, the answer is obvious.

The bathroom on the floor of our office has four stalls, two handicapped-accessible. I usually use one in particular because the others have shaky stall walls and it's easy for the door to pop open. My go-to toilet has more secure walls.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Good point.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There was a whole Curbed Your Enthusiasm episode about this topic.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Same in Michigan. My grandmother-in-law, 88, uses a cane and has one of the handicapped tags that hangs from the inside rear-view mirror. I periodically drive her (she still does drive, though, but for how long, I don't know). If I've got the tag in my car and she's not with me, there's no way in hell I'm parking in a handicapped spot. I might need to lose a few (OK, more than a few) pounds, but I can walk. And, I'm not going to cheat someone out of that parking spot.

Also, for the restroom question, if it's open and you need to use it, use it.

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

My mother has a hanging tag in her car and she uses the handicapped spots when she is out driving alone. However, when we go shopping together I always drive us in her car. She insists on me dropping her off at the front door and waiting on me while I get a normal parking place. She says there is no use in us using a handicapped space if I am driving her.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

My father-in-law did this when my mother-in-law was still alive. Pissed me off since he's a Tea Party guy who hates government intrusion in our lives, but was happy to use the handicap spot even when she wasn't in the car.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

With no ethical quandary whatsoever, use them all the time, and have never had a problem (which, of course, means next time I do, I will have a problem).

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I use handicap stalls anytime I see them vacant.
    Nothing wrong with it.
    They hours at the time unused.

Draft saved Draft deleted