1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your worst day ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Sorry to not be clear...I thought the posting of the teens crying over American Idol would convey that ;) Didn't mean to be a Debbie Downer.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

That's what I get for answering without, you know, reading the lead thread. :p

Another lowlight, not as a teenager, though, was the news that Derrick Thomas was involved in a terrible car wreck that would later claim his life.

George Brett announcing his retirement.

Joe Montana, ditto.

The day Johnny Damon was traded to Oakland would be up there, but we Royals fans knew that one was coming.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Ha, no worries ;)

As for Damon, wasn't as bad as the Dye one because you at least felt like they might have gotten something in return.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm a Marlins fan. I remember the day they won the World Series. It was sad because I knew ownership would sell off all the best players. WAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

5. Flash

Flash Guest

But that took some of the fun away from shocking the Catholic, tea-totalling mother ... the full-on makeup and spandex so tight you could tell what religion the Crue guys were helped, but nowhere near as much as Shout at the Devil did.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll never forget seeing a Shout At The Devil album at a friend's house and the words "WARNING: May contain backwards messages" on the back.

Scared the hell out of me at 10 or 11.

True story: If you hear "Without You" backwards, it says "This fucking sucks."

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm playing third base in the 9-10 year-old Richmond, Ky., Little League city championships. A guy hits a little blooper over the coach's box. Third-base coach leaps and snares it one-handed with me racing over to make the catch. Umpires won't rule interference and we go on to lose a close game. I was crushed. About a week later, we get a call while on vacation. The league has decided on appeal that it should have been an out. Everybody was on vacation, so we were declared co-champs.

Oh, and getting bounced from the Babe Ruth 13-year-old regionals after losing to a team from Miami of questionably aged Latinos. We were on the way to beating them the day before when rain came, and our stud starter couldn't quite get the job done. For some reason in the fairly early days of ESPN, the 13-year-old national championships were televised that year. I remember watching that team and thinking we could have beat. One of our pitchers was a guy named Bobby Reed, who still holds many Mississippi State records. The other was a guy named Tater Lee, who pitched left-handed and played shortstop right-handed. Damndest thing I ever saw. (Next year, that Miami league was suspended for violating rules on playing out of season.)

8. Flash

Flash Guest

I believe that.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Let's see here:

Chiefs-Colts, 1995 (or 96??) AFC Divisional playoffs. 3 p.m. game, temperature around 5 degrees and falling. Chiefs lose 10-7 after Lin fucking Elliot fails to remember that the goalposts aren't as wide as the field.

Mizzou-Nebraska, 1997. Flea-kicker game. I was a freshman that year, one leap away from charging the field. As thoroughly enjoyable as the recent thrashings of the shuckers have been, I'll always feel sick to my stomach watching that.

As for non-sports, it has to be the day I decided to ask out Amy Jennings. First, she was way, way out of my league. Like Ray Guy-on-meth out of my league. Besides that, her circle was at the top of the popularity scale... mine, nope, not so much.

But she seemed to be a good soul. She even took the time to make -- MAKE, I SAY -- me a birthday card. Mistaking kindness for something more, I took an epic leap off a cliff.

I made the call in the early afternoon, to ensure no interruptions. I believe the first thing I muttered was something to the effect of.. "Oh boy... oh god." I got my name out, and she says she'll be back after fielding off a previous call.

I stammer through what remains my most embarassing two minutes to date. I get the "well, we'll see...." because she's too kind to say "No way in hell." Of course, the next day, it's weird. And it remained weird for the rest of that year.

That's right ladies... I'm suave.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh well fuck, if getting rejected by a dream girl is fodder for this thread, the Interwebs will blow up.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Not so much rejection, per se. Just the awful way I went about stating my case.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Looks like BYH has been challenged.

Draft saved Draft deleted