1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your worst day ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Dec 7, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Claude goddamn fucking Lemieux flicks it past Mike Liut in overtime...a terrible second of silence, followed by the roar of the Montreal crowd...meanwhile, downstairs, dad is watching Roger Clemens whiff 20.

Worst day ever. By a country mile.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

This one is easy:

I believe it was the fall of 1989. My wife and I went to her doctor's appointment for a routine checkup. She was three months along.

The nurse had a look of concern on her face, and they called for a sonogram. I'll never forget her words, "Oh, Mrs. Harley, you lost it."

Called her mom, who set off on the 16-hour drive to come visit, so I figured I'd better defrost the freezer, as it was long overdue.

Not enough time to let the old box sit and melt, so I began chipping away. One bad chip resulted in a "Ppppffffffttttttt" that seemed like it would never end. And that's when I realized mom was coming over and we had no refrigerator.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The parents of those girls are doing a fine job if that is the worst thing that's happened to them.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Umm, we're talking about worst days ever for teenagers who don't know any better.

This thread is threatening to become a bummer and a half and that wasn't the intent.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Bonds not throwing out Sid fucking Bream.

Neil O'Donnell throwing two INT's late in SB XXX.

And I loved Chris Webber :)

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The day I scratched my butt on public access TV while giving a speech in front of City Council as part of some shadow program for smart kids (and me). Worst part: I didn't realize it until people came up to tell me.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Keeping with the point of the thread and focusing on the theme of a teenager that knew no better? That football game that involved the Oilers and the Steelers. That really and truly was the day I realized that life was not fair.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Guess that happens when the title isn't clear.

Only teenage sports bummer I can think of was trying hard not to uncross my legs during the 1980 World Series because I was so superstitious and my mother demanding that I get up and do something stupid, I'm sure. The legs had been crossed when the Royals won, so I had to keep at it.

And of course, because I had to uncross my legs, the damn Phillies won it in 6.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

I hope some pre-teen Frenchies cried the day the Calgary Flames won the Cup on Forum ice. :D

10. Flash

Flash Guest

How about the day I got my copy of Theatre of Pain? I wept. I fucking wept and the pile of shit that album was.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, but if you were a homely kid from homelytown, USA, that was a cool day, b/c the Crue were no longer scary-ass Satanic worshippers.

I mean...what was the question?

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

the day the mick retired in march '69.

the day my little league team lost the league title in a playoff game to the club led by my best bud wayne and a couple of other good pals. a 5-3 heartbreaker in june '69.

yeah, '69 sucked. the mets winning the world series was a bummer for me, too. i loved the yanks; wayne adores the mets.

somehow our best friendship endures!

Draft saved Draft deleted