1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your top 10 Games of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by urgrad04, Dec 16, 2006.

1. urgrad04

urgrad04 Member

One of the only things I look forward to on Sportscenter each year is the end of the year top 10 games special. There were a number of classic games staged during the year and I think it's tough to come up with 10.

Anyway here's what I think the criteria should be for picking the list.

1. The game has to be significant. Playoff games should count more than regular season even if the regular season contest is more exciting.

2. Factor of incredulity -- Major Upset, An incredible individual effort, or thrilling buzzer beating finish. The more you say "I can't believe this is happening," the better the game.

3. How the game impacts the rest of the participants' career. Does it revitalize a struggling career? Would a loss send the athlete into retirement? (Bettis, Agassi)

My Top 10

10. Colts-Steelers...With the Pats out it was the Colts year...only to choke at home.. It had the Bettis fumble and the Vanderjagt's missed kick.

9. Tiger's British Open Win...After his father's death, this showed Tiger was back. He was an absolute machine on the back 9 on Sunday...probably the best he's been besides the '97 Masters. Helped by the emotional reaction after tapping in on 18.

8. Mets-Cards Game 7...The Chavez catch, Molina's home run, great duel between two pitchers who no one expected to give up a combined two runs.

7. Suns Triple Overtime win over the Nets...More than 300 combined points in a classic that featured two great performances by the best pg's of the decade.

6. Italy beats Germany in extra time...Ahead of the final because this game had end to end action and two amazing goals when penalty kicks looked to be inevitable.

5. Heat comeback in Game 3...The series was over without Wade single-handily carrying his team...SI agreed :D

4. George Mason over UCONN...Classic David v. Goliath matchup to go to the Final Four...A Buzzer Beater to send it to overtime and then a miss by Brown in the extra session that sent the building into pandemonium.

3. Agassi-Baghdaitis...Maybe too high cause of my tennis bias but if Agassi lost, his career would have been over. The match had fans on the edge of their seats for the final two sets. It first appeared Agassi would cruise, then Baghdaitis stormed all the way back, only to cramp and continue to play through it.

2. Michigan-Ohio State...For the six weeks of hype from ESPN, it at least lived up to it. Though Michigan scored late to make the final score seem closer than the game really was, they did have a chance to take the lead early in the 4th quarter.

1. Texas-USC...Sublime performance by Young...End of USC's winning streak...easily the best game.

Shit wasn't even room for Kobe's buzzer beaters or Lefty's choke at the Open.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Release the hounds!

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sorry, all the hounds are with spaceman in the Mantle thread, trying to hook up with Billy and DiMaggio.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Well let's see. I really liked Madden 07 bu.....Oh, wait.........

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think the Yankees large comeback against the Rangers should be in there. I know it was regular season, but being down 11-1 and then taking the lead, giving it up again and then winning on a walk-off is pretty damn dramatic. And anytime you are talking about a team that has been playing as many years as the Yankees and it was the largest comeback ever, that is pretty impressive.

6. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

kobe scores 81 vs. raptors

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

What about the Dodgers game where they hit three consecutive HRs (or was it four) to tie in the ninth, with another in extra innings to win it? Surely that's gotta be on the list.

8. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

all were on sc's special save for nyy-tex. OSU-UM and USC-UCLA joint no.3, g-mason no.2, rose bowl no. 1.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Rutgers-WVU in three overtimes for the Big East Championship.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What are my top 10 games of the year?

Ownssss, Ownssss.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Exactly what I thought when I saw this thread . . . . .

Lego Star Wars II is great, as was FIFA World Cup 2006 and FIFA 07.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Steelers-Colts goes to the top of my list, but I'm biased as hell. Twenty years from now, I'm sure I will still remember a heck of a lot more about that game than I will about the Super Bowl victory that followed it.

Mostly it sticks with me because this is the kind of game Cowher's Steelers have made a history of losing, playing well enough to win and finding a way to blow it. The fumble by Bettis, the only one he had all season, could have been right up there with the grounder through Bill Buckner's legs as one of the most haunting mistakes in sports in the last 25 years.

One more time. Thank you, Mike Vanderjagt.

Draft saved Draft deleted