1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your state's sporting event of the year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Classic Kanzacentrism!

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Adding one to my list from earlier: The KHSAA Boys' Sweet 16.

Held at Rupp Arena each year and attracts thousands of fans/spectators/coaches/whatever else. Coaches get a lot of work done, with clinics and meetings held during the tournament as well.

And unlike the Hoosiers, the Kentucky tourney is not classified.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Minnesota: The state high school hockey tournament. Two classes, eight teams each, games are televised statewide and preempt network programming. Every kid gets to skate to the blue line for face time during first-round player intros, and it is absolutely unintentionally hilarious. Google Minnesota hockey hair team for examples.

Championship games are on Saturday and are basically guaranteed sellouts of the Wild's NHL-sized building.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

My SO will vouch for that. And both teams sucked during her Corvallis years.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why is NASCAR declining at Bristol?

I am fron Denver. I can't tell you whatt the most popular annual sports event in Colorado until I look at the Bronco's schedule but the top eight are their home games (playoff games are not an annual event). I have absolutely no idea what numebr nine is.

6. Donny in his element

That easy: Winter X Games Aspen.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It seems to be dying everywhere, but it is especially noticeable at Bristol, which sold out every Cup race between 1982 and 2009. Things really seemed to go sour when they redid the track to allow for more side-by-side racing. That sounds like a good thing most everywhere else, but Bristol had the reputation for aggressive driving where you had to knock the other guy out of the way to pass (and lots of wrecks when it didn't work.) They changed it back, but it still hasn't been quite the same. Add in all the other NASCAR nonsense and down the tubes it goes.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Probably a Tuesday afternoon Redskins practice.

Big Circus likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't forget Florida-Florida State for north Florida.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yep. That's the winner, if only because it's too broad to say "Any time the Redskins step foot in Ashburn."

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Obviously, the Iron Bowl leads the pack. The two Talladega races are probably second, followed by the SEC baseball tournament.

12. Donny in his element

And Florida State-Miami for the good parts of Florida. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted