1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your stand on gay marriage?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jan 9, 2007.

?

What's your stand on gay marriage?

1. For it. Marriage is about love, not law.

56.0%
  2. For it. I'd never look someone I know in the eye and say no.

13.2%
  3. For it. But I don't blame those who aren't.

4.4%
  4. For it. But I don't think gay couples should raise kids.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Torn. Undecided. Or don’t really know or care.

5.5%
  6. Against it. Because of my religious/spiritual values.

12.1%
  7. Against it. Not out of faith - I just don't agree with it.

8.8%
  1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

First one who says they're against it because it goes against the laws of nature is going to get jumped like a Woody Allen at a Hezbollah meeting. This will definitely not end well.

Should not be legislated. Period.

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

This looks like a landslide so far :)

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

We get about 25-30% voter participation out here. I imagine it's about the same where you are.

You get enough worked-up voters on one side, as the GOP likes to do, then you're going to get a "mandate" on that side of the vote. Doesn't mean that most people believe that way, just that they're the ones who bothered to vote.

Speaks poorly of our society. But it speaks accurately.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Celebrity weddings and divorces do more damage to the "sanctity of marriage" than homosexuals ever could. Let 'em get hitched if they want.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I think a lot of people who have responded on here are younger members (under 35). Our age group is more accepting as a whole than say my father's generation. Not speaking of our members here, but if large numbers of the older generations vote, they are more likely to vote against it while younger people are more likely to vote for it.

AT least in my uneducated opinion.

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Most of the people in my charming corner of the world are very, very against it. Not because it goes against the laws of nature, but (in their view) the Laws of God.

Why they select the anti-gay part of the Bible as the inviolable part and ignore other Biblical edicts (everything from "don't eat pork" to "don't oppress the poor")...you'll have to ask them. The Bible has a great deal to say about political and economic injustice, a lot less about sex...but here in 'Murrca, most Christians find sexuality (even heterosexuality) a lot more offensive than oppression...or violence, for that matter.

Not all anti-gay marriage people I know are hateful bigots. Some of them really think that gay marriage will bring about the downfall of anything resembling a moral civilization. But I can't speak for them, because I don't understand them.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Probably right, but this 48-year-old (for six more hours) is weighing in that the government should keep their noses out of it. And that two people who love each other shouldn't have anything standing in their way.

My only misgivings with sexual orientation are pretty much the same as my only misgivings with race. It bothers me that some people define themselves primarily by the color of their skin or primarily by who they love/boink/cohabitate with. There's a lot more to people than that.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

For it, but not because marriage is about love or anything. People who hate each other should be allowed to marry as well.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Good response, shotty. I'd venture to say that it's harder NOT to identify yourself solely that way when you're treated differently because of that way all your life. And make no mistake, you are treated differently if you're of color or if you're gay.

It's an easy way out, but there's a reason it's so easy.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Funny that among a lot of churchgoing folk the "sin" of homosexuality is far, far worse than the sins they engage in daily and freely admit they are helpless to fully conquer.

The gays would be fully embraced if they would just stop being gay.

The alcoholic adulterer ... well, he's a deacon and we all hope he gets help sometime soon. And besides, you drink and sleep around too if you were married to that woman.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm for it, and most everyone has given the same reasons why I'm supportive of it.

From the posts on this thread, it's more a generational issue than it is a Democrat/GOP issue. That's a good thing because I think that means we're closer to allowing gay marriages/civil unions. It won't happen in every state, but I do see the day when a gay/lesbian couple can be more than just "partners."

Aside from the marriage question, I'd like to see states adopt measures to allow individuals to select their own personal caregiver and give that person rights to make healthcare decisions and visits. To me, it's not a gays-only issue because there are plenty of straight people estranged from their families. Let them pick someone they love to make the decisions for them.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1. The majority of the media has a liberal slant. Even as a republican, I am pretty socially liberal, being pro-choice, anti-gun, etc...

2. We're not relying on votes from senior citizens, who are extremely traditionalist and always seem to vote...

Draft saved Draft deleted