1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's your stand on gay adoption?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EE94, Jan 10, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And I'll stick by my point: our culture is not tuned in that direction.

The thing is, there's not going to be an "abnormal" environment. Society says, "It's normal to be straight." So how "abnormal" can the environment be, when everything you see outside of the home is "normal = straight"?

Then, of course, you're assuming an agenda on the part of gay parents to "turn their kids gay" (or at least make them question it, right?) by raising them in a "gay" environment ... which is laughable.

But I digress.

The point is, a heterosexual child is not going to get pulled in that direction. a) because it's hard-wiring. b) because society doesn't "influence" in that direction; it does make homosexual children question their sexuality, although that's terribly tragic. But I don't think it works the other way.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How laughable is it, though? We can't close ourselves off to the possibility.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

But how is this different than arguing against biracial adoption (i.e. that it's "better" for white parents to adopt white children, and black parents to adopt black children, because they're "more in common")? They all sound like discrimination to me.

I think you can argue that it's easier for straight parents to raise a straight child, but that's assuming that straight parents won't have to deal with and/or expose their kids to homosexuality and so it's one less issue for them to worry about. But I don't agree with that closed-minded approach, either.

Frankly, I don't think parenting -- under any circumstances -- is made "easier" or "better", no matter what the situation. I don't think "finding something in common" is part of the idea of adoption at all.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

When gay people are treated equally in our society, then we can think about the possibility. Right now ... it's laughable.

Most gay people I know just want to be treated like everybody else ... and left the fuck alone. The only people bringing up "agendas" are the political activists on both sides.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I know, buckweaver, and again, you're right.

A few generations from now homosexuality won't be such a big issue, and 8-10 generations from now, it will be a non-issue. Everything is a process. I believe that.

Everyone, in my eyes, is equal. I'm not against gay parents adopting kids. My issue is the undue influence and how that might affect a kid's sexuality over the years. We can argue the merits of political leanings, but I'll always wonder about the undue influence of what I believe is the heart of the matter in this issue.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't understand gay adoption. How are they sure that the kid you adopt is going to be gay?

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm as much for gay adoption as I am for gay marriage. Totally.

Yet, I really, really hate it when people play the "what if your son..." or "what if your daughter" projection game to make others feel guilty. It is usually as distasteful as the original offending issue.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Interestingly, though, studies have shown that boys with older brothers are statistically much more likely to be gay.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

A few thoughts:
    Are we being presumptuous to say that just because a couple is gay they make good parents and/or there's no potentially shitty gay parents? Seems as if the shitty parent issue or foster care problem are independent of this. Fact: Some people become foster parents for the money, then deprive the kid of that money, and go unchecked by the state because of an overwhelming caseload. Fact: People of all sexual persuasions have issues that hamper their ability to be parents. That's probably not what you meant in your post, Dog, but we need to be careful not to assume that.

The only thing that challenges the procreation argument are the households where a grandparent or single parents are already raising children successfully. It takes man and woman to bring them into the world, or woman and a sperm donor. Beyond that, the child is at the mercy of the people they end up with.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I am all in favor. Again, equal rights for all.

11. Abortions for all!

Boooooooo!

Abortions for none!

Boooooooo!

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others!

Yaaaaaaay!

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ellis, you're becoming one of my favorite posters...

Draft saved Draft deleted