1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your stance on abortion?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Feb 18, 2008.

?

Which of the following best describes your position on abortion?

1. I am pro abortion rights. A woman has a right to privacy and I'll defend that with political activis

17.9%
  2. I am pro abortion rights, but choose not to be politically involved.

10.4%
  3. I am pro abortion rights, but against third trimester abortions.

17.9%
  4. I am pro abortion rights, but I think some women abuse/misuse those rights.

11.9%
  5. I am pro abortion rights, but the father should have a say.

6.0%
  6. I am anti-abortion rights except in extreme or life-threatening cases.

16.4%
  7. I am anti-abortion rights because of my religious beliefs.

7.5%
  8. I am anti-abortion rights for reasons other than religion.

4.5%
  9. I support a culture war against abortion, which includes picketing, distributing literature against

1.5%
  10. I really don't know/care.

1.5%
  11. None of these options are suitable.

4.5%
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I wish that no one ever had an abortion again.

I want our public policy focus to be on helping prevent unwanted pregnancy rather than on continuing to fight over the legality of abortion.

I find a large segment of the anti-abortion rights movement to be horridly anti-woman. I find a smaller, but not insubstantial, portion of the pro-abortion rights movement to be hostile and dismissive to the honest beliefs of other Americans.

Those are the boxes I would check. But I have supported what I considered to be women's rights movements and campaigns with activism and money. And I will do so again.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Don't you have an Obama collage to finish?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

All done. ;)

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This isn't really true, of course. It's not that simplistic.

You're not pro-choice because you believe abortion is right (i.e. not wrong). Pro-choice isn't about the morality of it -- it's about the legality of it. That's the problem with framing this discussion dualistically: right vs. wrong. Pro-life is about life, about morality; pro-choice is about rights, about legality. Using those terms means you're not having the same debate.

I believe that it should be legal, regulated and supervised by professionals who know what they're doing. The days of back-alley operations that don't get talked about and could get a doctor thrown in jail bothers me greatly. So, that makes me "pro-choice."

I also believe that abortion should truly be a last resort, only to be considered under extreme duress (rape/incest, mother's health, etc.), never as "birth control." Like Zeke said, I wish no one would ever have one again. I also know that's an impossible dream, hence my stance on its legality.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I was 15 years old and sitting in science class when a girl across the room began to bleed on her seat. She looked whiter than a ghost, even through her cinnamon-colored skin, and after going to the nurse's office she was taken by ambulance to the hospital. Word around school is that she had been pregnant, and a few days before had undergone what you could call a "back-alley abortion." She was OK after missing a lot of school, but there was speculation about whether or not she could ever have kids.

That was the day I became pro-choice. Legalization leads to regulation, and everyone has a right to safe medical care. Pro-choice means there should be a variety of options available, and people should be able to choose the one that bests suits their needs.

I'm also a believer in the "keep your laws off my body" line of thought. I resent the fact that some old, white, middle-aged men in Washington think they know what's best for me, my body, my life. Fuck you, and the patriarchal horse you rode in on.

This is an example of what drives me crazy about the abortion debate: the language used. "Getting off on dead babies"? Sadly, that's not the first time I've heard that phrase directed toward pro-choice people, but honestly, who really thinks that's the case? While there are many anti-abortion people who don't hate women, there are a lot who do. But I have yet to meet a pro-choice person who "gets off on dead babies."

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That's what annoys me about the whole debate, Cadet. If anyone truly "gets off" about anything, it's the anti-abortion people who "get off" about demonizing women and pro-choice people. Of course no pro-choice person "gets off on dead babies," but that doesn't stop conservatives from suggesting that.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Alma has stated that he is opposed to abortion and wants it outlawed. The individual starting the poll is deeply biased...

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Linguistics cuts all ways. The term "pro choice is just political framing, for example (as is the term "pro life"). It deliberately shifts the language away from abortion, which is a nasty thing even for some people who think it should be legal, and turns the language into something out of a coke or pepsi debate. It's trying to change the language to make your beliefs sounds right and to present the opposing view in a bad light--if I disagree, I am "anti choice."

It's the same way with "pro life," of course, which implies that someone who doesn't agree with you is "pro death."

People feel strongly about this, and they try to give an inherent validity to their stance with the language they use. They turn it into a right ("reproductive rights" or "the right to life"), for example, as if the language they are using can really give what they believe that sort of validity.

At the end of the day, though, it's simply about abortion and whether you are OK with women having them or you're not OK with it. And those kinds of debates go nowhere because people tend to be intractable in their beliefs.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Cadet, Beamer: I was being deliberately over the top to illustrate my point. There's certain elements among the abortion-rights believers that would have me be a woman-hating asshole who lives to keep them in the place. There's certain elements among the anti-abortion believers that thinks you hate babies and take delight in their death. I think both are wrong. Based on your comments, you only think the half that affects you is wrong.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I realize that. I usually find Alma to be more intellectually honest, even when he has a strong opinion.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And yet ... it's not. Again.

As I said before, it's not dualistic, no matter which way people like to frame it. It's too complex an issue, and people's views on it are too nuanced, to be simplified down to A vs. B. It doesn't matter what you call A or what you call B -- it's not that simple.

I'm not OK with women in my life having them. I'm also not OK with lawmakers or judges -- primarily men, of course -- deciding whether other women can have them.

Does that make me "lame," as Mystery Meat put it, for not sticking with one side or the other of a debate that I can't possibly view dualistically? I think it's lame to force people to choose, when neither of the "opposing" viewpoints fully reflect my views.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm curious, but in what way are they biased? Both have a "I'm in support of/opposition to abortion and I'll take to the streets for it option, which probably should be taken metaphorically more than literally, since I'd assume most journos have a better sense of self-preservation than to be outward activists. Both have a "I support my position except in these unusual circumstances" option. What options are being ignored?

And if a pro-abortion rights believer were to word the poll, how would they do it?

Draft saved Draft deleted