1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your mileage rate?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norman Stansfield, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Mira

Mira Member

We're at .33. When gas prices went up earlier this summer, our HR department decreased the mileage. AND they require all employees who drive as a part of their position to provide proof of automobile insurance and the coverages. Man, that action riled up folks in our office big time.

2. Stupid

Stupid Member

DyePack-What's the rate for '06?

Scorpio-I itemize and it did work for me.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

We've had to provide proof for years. Don't provide the necessary stuff every year and your checks are held up until you do. And we have to have something like $1 million worth of coverage when you add everything up.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

My shop pays $.40, and that's been in effect for about a year. I'm sure there are some better ones out there, but not many.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think they split the difference and made it 44.5 cents per mile.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

We're at $0.34.

This is my first job where I get reimbursed for mileage, so it never occurred to me to take the tax deduction on the difference (I do itemize). Thanks guys!

7. zman82

zman82 Member

30 cents ... do you have to have receipts to cailm it all back on taxes?

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Receipts are needed if you're audited or if you use the "actual expenses" method, rather than the standard mileage method.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

zman, I always use the same credit card to pay for gas, so whenever I've claimed mileage before (as a "self-employed" referee and other things) I've always used the credit card statement as proof of purchase. Not sure how that would hold up in an audit, but it works for my purposes.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Probably depends on if the auditor is an asshole.

Credit card receipts should be fine, but who says you're not buying $5 worth of stuff inside the convenience store?

11. zman82

zman82 Member

i'll have to check my statements, thanks cadet.

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Currently 33 Canadian cents per kilometre... which, after all the conversions, comes out to 48 cents US per mile. Sliding scale, union-negotiated by yours truly back in May.

Draft saved Draft deleted