1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your contingency plan?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Move to the West, live in a yurt on fertile farm land, grow organic veggies, sell what I don't eat at farmers' markets and Widespread Panic shows. Write lengthy anti-technology manifestos by candlelight.

Truth to tell, I have a second job I'm working now and if I get plunked Monday morning I guess I'd have more time for that. Wouldn't complain one bit, either.

2. There will always be a job for me at my old paper. It would just require moving back in with my mom.

So, I'd do that, get my Master's ... and teach.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm richard gere in "officer and a gentleman": "i got nowhere else to go!" :'( :-\ :-\

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

I still have grand plans on opening my bar, but the tough old Eye-tie bastard who owns the building I want (it's his cobbler's shop right now) won't sell, at least not yet. But it'll be a bar for writers when I finally get it, so I'll want writers behind the bar.

Requirements: Know how to pour a stiff one, as well as a perfect pint of Guinness; be easy to talk to; know how to swing a wooden baseball bat; good with a mop and bucket; return the love.

Start applying for those Canadian work permits, and remember to pack a parka.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And with that, the stream of applicants at sportschick's fabric store dries up

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why the hell would anyone want to go back to school in order to get a master's so that they can teach....................journalism? I mean, seriously. Of all the things I'll do once this biz runs me off, the LAST one on the list, just behind serving as the assistant to the crack whore, is try to convince people to get into this racket.

Plus--and I'm as serious as the day is long here--won't the death of mass media as we know it kill J-schools too? It's like training people to service typewriters.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If all of mass media died, then yeah, but I still imagine there's a market for teaching about the inter net and the tv and the BLOGS!

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'm sure you will all think I'm insane, but I am currently looking at online Masters programs in Public Policy or Political Management.

I've decided I want to be the Karl Rove of Massachusetts.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

When the mass media (newspapers) dies, where do people get their news?

10. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

no idea

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

First toe in American waters, fingers crossed, will be in the fall. If everything works out -- and there's a long way to go, but I'm optimistic -- it'll be in a state that rhymes with Schlongtana. But I'll always have a place here, too. Hopefully, it's the cot behind my bar.

Not sure where the wife and kids will sleep. Down with the casks, I guess.

12. lono

lono Active Member

Uh, online.

Draft saved Draft deleted