1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your contingency plan?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Jul 3, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Do you have a plan for what you'll do if you get laid off or if your newspaper goes under? If so, what is it?

Me, I'm going to open a craft/fabric store in a small town in Montana or go back to school and get a masters in public administration. Maybe both.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My plan is to apply at your fabric store and work the cash register.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Apply to artists colonies, get accepted, and pump out a few projects.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm going to panhandle in front of your fabric store. :D

5. sportschick

Man, Montana's population is gonna double when I open that fabric store.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

http://www.butlerschool.com/

Because, really, who doesn't want an English butler.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm going to find a way to be rich enough to hire GB-Hack.

8. agateguy

agateguy Member

I'm having trouble with the idea that my newspaper could go under. I'm also having trouble with the concept of $5/gallon gasoline.

I'm concerned that reality will set me straight soon enough on both fronts :mad:

My plan is still developing, because I'm reacting to national trends and not to anything local (yet).

Right now, I want to assess all of my job skills and determine which ones are transferrable, and which ones are unique to journalism.

I also want to investigate other career fields in my spare time to see where my skill set fits and also see which fields most interest me - and that will include seeing if there could be a place for me in whatever the industry eventually morphs into.

I'm told that Richard Bolles' book What Color Is Your Parachute? is a great resource to help you sort through all of this. I have a copy and plan to read it. I'll also look at the job websites, even the want ads to see what's out there in terms of something I can do to pay the bills (if necessary) and something I might want to do long-term.

I'd also advise everyone to pay off consumer debts and build up a 6-8 month emergency fund and stash it somewhere you can get to in a hurry when you need it.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep. Doing that now.

My "you're-fucked-and-have-to-do-something" contingency plan is to go back to school. What I'll do after that ... I'm not sure.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm going to open a big box craft/fabric chain and run all the mom and pop shops out of business.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Stay away from my corner or I'll cut you...

12. sportschick

I'm sending my panhandlers down to harrass your customers.

Draft saved Draft deleted