1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's your choice? Best-worst romantic movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Maybe this was more appropriate on Valentine's Day, but I've heard something the last couple of days on TV ...commercial or something ... that keeps playing the theme for "Love Story" which made me hate that movie; hence, the question.

But what's your thoughts on the best and the worst in that movie category? (I bet some of us guys would call the worst whatever was the favorite of our exes).

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Shakespeare in Love was shaping up to be the worst for me, but I fell asleep about a third of the way through. The wife really appreciated that, considering we were in a theater and had paid full price for it.

My vote for best is Casablanca.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Damn, I can't think of a favorite.

When Harry met Sally, maybe? It had some humor.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Second that.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Just called up a top 25 ranking.

Titanic. Not bad.
    Jerry McGuire? Never thought of it as one.
    Ghost? That struck me from the standpoint of getting a lost loved one back...my dad had died the week before I saw that.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Of the modern era? Only because I haven't seen a lot of the classics ...

Best: Love Actually
    Worst: Tossup between that one with Kutcher about getting hitched and that one with Mandy Moore about getting hitched

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Best: Briana Loves Jenna 8)

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Best: "Debbie does Dallas"

Worst: "Natural Born Killers"

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I liked Sleepless in Seattle.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Best: Kramer vs. Kramer... :D

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Moonstruck is one of my favourites.

Annie Hall is great.

Nothing beats Casablanca.

I hate Titanic with a passion. Ditto anything starring that chinless wanker Hugh Grant.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I like Titanic, but the problem with that movie is they made it into a love story and that was completely unnecessary. You could have set it up with the story lines of some of the passengers' lives before the voyage: there were certainly more than a handful of rich and famous in first class, and they could have contrasted that with those in steerage or 4th class.

Not to mention, the story itself was the disaster of the ship sinking and over a thousand people perishing.

I guess the love story was the sugar to make the medicine go down in having a 1000+ people die on screen. But, Jesus H, it was 80+ years ago, I don't think people need the blow softened. Just tell the effin' story.

Draft saved Draft deleted