1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's wrong with Mike Gottfried?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Did anyone see the Penn State-Minnesota game on ESPN?
    What the hell is wrong with Mike Gottfried? Did he have a stroke or does he drink? He was speaking very slowly and haltingly. It took him forever to spit out a simple sentence.
    His color analyst was horrible. I always thought the guy was pretty decent, but today, the first I've heard him in a while, he was god-awful.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Gottfried has sounded like that for a year or so now. Consensus is that he's sick. Or got very old overnight.

3. I think the answer to your first question is, "Yes, you did."

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I talked to a couple co-workers about this last year, when we watched a game. He sounds terrible, he mangles facts to no end and is generally tough to listen to nowadays. I have no clue what happened, because I don't remember him like this.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

This thread comes up every few months or so...based on the consensus and inside dope, he has a health problem, not a drinking problem. Maybe he has Parkinson's or something like that.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Have heard Parkinson's, have heard a stroke... but nothing recently. All when it first came out.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

All well and good. And, too bad. But what's he still doing on the air?

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Because while he mangles facts and stumbles with words, he still offers some pretty damn good insight.

Yes, TV is about being a clear speaker, but he also offers you more than 90 percent of the other color guys out there.

This year, he's sounded worse than ever. Actually sounded better yesterday than he did in the Penn State-Akron game at the beginning of the season.

(P.S. Even the homer in me can tell you that was the most bullshit pass interference call this side of the '03 Fiesta Bowl.)

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If it was a drinking problem, he wouldn't have been on the air with it more than once. Gottfried isn't a big enough player that they'd keep him on the air under those circumstances.

The fact they keep using him despite the impairment would certainly suggest it's a health issue.

10. Screw it!
    It's about time PSU cauight a break from the Big Ten. They repeatedly get screwed!
    Alright, I feel bad for Minnesota, the got jobbed by the officials.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

PSU screws itself most of the time with inept quarterbacking and a mediocre offense.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And prior to joining the Big 10 they got every call. A Nebraska game in Happy Valley in 1982 comes to mind immediately.

Draft saved Draft deleted