1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'What's wrong with college basketball?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-03-08/college-basketball-concerns-attendance-drop/53424996/1?loc=interstitialskip

The attendance dip has been particularly notable during the regular season, with average Division I crowds dropping each of the past four years. The NCAA won't release numbers for 2011-12 until after the tournament, but USA TODAY's calculations show another slight dip across the six biggest-name conferences — the Atlantic Coast, the Big East, the Big Ten, the Big 12, the Pacific-12 and the Southeastern. Their collective average is down almost 6% in four years.

... Most troubling are the numbers in what traditionally has been a bastion of college hoops, the ACC, where regular-season attendance fell beneath 10,000 a game for the first time in recent history a year ago and slid a little further this season — to 9,632. That's down nearly 1,400 from just four years ago.

I'm assuming that Bubbler is preparing his letter-to-the-editor to USA Today as we speak.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

1. People do not have money to go to games.
    2. There are no "stars" in college basketball anymore. Once they start to become a "star," they are off to the NBA.

3. Dick Whitman

The story raises an issue I was getting at a year ago - the sport is a victim of the Tournament's success. It's a cautionary tale for college football, that's for sure.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

3. The regular season doesn't mean a thing. The system rewards big-conference mediocrity with tournament bids, and the tournament is the only thing that matters to a fan.

5. 93Devil

When you only play 11 games or so and only four or eight teams have a shot at the big prize, every game does count.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Part of it is expense. Microville Tech has some specials for non-conference games and special ticket package for home games over Christmas break, but the cheapest ticket for a conference game is $15, and it's $25 for a reserved seat. Even in nosebleed/endzone GA, if you have 2-3 kids you're looking at dropping $75-$100 for a college basketball game when you throw in a drink, parking etc.

That's a nice chunk of change for a lot of families (mine included). Luckily we've gotten some free tickets from a friend who gets them as a tradeout, but otherwise I'm not paying $100 or so for two hours.

7. Dick Whitman

The tournament is such a money cow that they would never do it, but it might help the sport to scale back the tournament. But I don't think the regular season attendance and TV revenue gained would balance out the money lost by a smaller tourney.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think the talent level has anything to do with it. Fans follow their schools regardless of who the players are.

Pure and simple attendance is down because of the economy. People can't afford to go to games.

9. 93Devil

If TV ratings are down as well, then the economy is not the only problem.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The tickets are too damn high.

11. Dick Whitman

I think that's part of it, but it doesn't necessarily explain away the student drop. Their tickets are cheap. They just don't have the patience to go to a gym for two or three hours these days. Not when they can get real-time updates on their Monolith Mega Phone 3000.

Honestly, I think that college basketball is a victim of the same thing as the baseball postseason: The NFL.

12. Dick Whitman

The piece hedges on that. I'm not sure what this means:

"Regular-season ratings have steadied over recent years, and even nudged upward this year on ESPN."

Draft saved Draft deleted