1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's up in Cleveland?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who has more information can PM me if they don't feel like posting.

http://crainscleveland.com/article/20080610/FREE/218310727/1099&Profile=1099

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Would the last person out of the newsroom please turn off the presses?

3. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Newhouse has a no layoffs guarantee that's going to really be tested if this economic climate/market deterioration continues.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

An aging heavy-metal band is lost backstage.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I hear good things about that policy overall, but as things get darker and darker, I can see the usual work-arounds for a "no economic layoffs" guarantee: Management either starts a paper trail of tougher job evaluations to justify dumping folks for cause (heck, it could just embrace one of those corporate systems where everyone gets graded on a curve, so 20 percent have to be classified as "poor"). Or it could go for the time-honored tradition of sticking people in jobs they cannot do well or jobs they cannot stand, then wait for the fallout from that.

6. At my old (Newhouse) paper, I believe that policy applied only to "non-represented" employees. I could be wrong, and others feel free to correct me.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Too bad. I've been impressed with The PD lately. They've been covering the shit out of things. Perhaps a last-gasp, failed effort at increasing readership.

8. Tiger16

Tiger16 Member

I had heard the PD was changing Cavs writers (it was probably discussed on here, I haven't been around much) but I didn't know this.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There was a thread on the Jobs board, but since there hasn't been a real posting of an open position, I'm not sure what its fate is. Might just be dealt with as internal shuffling.

10. Given this news, I'd find it hard to believe they'd hire from outside. But (again, correct me if I'm wrong), I believe a larger percentage of sports staffers took the buyout, so perhaps they have more flexibility to hire.
    Just seems unlikely in the current climate.

11. VJ

VJ Member

I hope the news about the sports section isn't true, their design staff always does a great job with Cavs playoffs, Ohio State, etc.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Buh buh buh... how can they cut the special sports sections? What if the Cavs/Indians/Browns win a championship?

Draft saved Draft deleted