1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's this VidShadow crap?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LWillhite, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

OK folks here's the deal. I am using the holiday weekend to test a new advertising company out. It's the same company that provides ads to more than 40,000 web sites, including some very high-profile sites, so I doubt they are loading your computer with spyware, viruses, etc.

As for the full-page ad, it is supposed to happen at most once every six hours. In my experience, that has been the case so far (yes, I see all the ads, all the time). By the way, ever visit USAToday.com? They have the exact same types of ads.

I will investigate making the ads more "family friendly" if some of you are having issues with the content of certain ads.

Finally, I resent the comments that I am trying to make the ads so annoying that people will subscribe. That's not the case at all. I'm simply trying to maximize the dollars I can bring in from this site. The Google ads continue to trend downward as far as revenue goes and I'm looking to other means to replace some of that revenue.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Then there may be a kink in the system, they've been swallowing the screen once every couple minutes here.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I don't mind the VidShadow ads, as long as I can find the "Ignore" or "Skip ad" button.

The one I'm worried about starts telling me there are viruses and spyware on my computer, then trying to load and run a bunch of crap.

I have to completely exit out of Firefox, then run Spybot to get rid of the shit they put on my PC.

4. Lucas Wiseman

I've been going back and forth between FireFox and IE to try and see if I can get it to give me more than one full-page ad and so far I cannot get it to do it. I've gotten one full-page ad on each and that's it. So I'm baffled as to why some people are getting them in multiples. I'll work on it in the morning.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

What comes up on mine isn't necessarily a full-page ad, but a pop-up screen intimating that I have been infected with either spyware or a virus.

It begins running a (presumably fake) test, with trojans, et al, showing up on the results.

I've tried numerous times to click the X to get rid of it, but it doesn't go away until I exit completely out of Firefox.

Just to be safe (it's happened twice), I've run Spybot, which picked up an adware and spyware disabler both times.

6. Lucas Wiseman

I'm going to go ahead and remove the ads until I can investigate further.

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Webby...I remember back in the day when there was a link at the top of the forum pages that said something along the lines of "Click here for books on sports journalism." When clicked the link took you to amazon.com. I know they had [and believe they still do have] some sort of incentive program for websites that provide similar links to amazon. I don't know the gory details but I recall that it was essentially a sales commission on any purchases one made by visiting amazon.com via a link off another website.
    With that in mind, what about bringing that link back? Maybe it's still here and I'm just missing it. The point is that if we all used that link to make our purchases at amazon.com would it generate enough revenue to offset having pop-ups and hyperlink advertising on the site. It's just something I thought about after reading the previous posters comments. I'm sure that I'm not the only one here who will be utilizing amazon.com as part of my helliday shopping.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm on IE and I've gotten the one full-page ad only once a day and only when I go to the home page. I think that's what Webby is saying is supposed to happen.

9. IU90

IU90 Member

I've been getting the exact same thing, and was baffled as to where my laptop picked it up until just now seeing that others here are getting it too. I never imagined this site was the culprit.

10. Lucas Wiseman

Thanks for the suggestion. I can always put that link back up. Bottom line is, though, that nobody used it and the commissions are so small that it takes a lot of sales to make any money at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted