1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's this op-ed missing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 3, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hobbies/interests: Shopping at Bed Bath & Beyond.

It's easy, really.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"The Indigo Girls: Still Rockin' After All These Years," by Suzy Lee Weiss

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hobbies/interests: Perusing independent bookstores on Castro Street.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Since Az posted this gem yesterday it was driving me crazy to think of the song that mentioned Swarthmore. Just popped on the radion- Creeque Alley - The Mommas and The
    Poppas.

When Cass was a sophomore, planned to go to Swathmore
    But she changed her mind one day.
    Standin' on the turnpike, thumb out to hitchhike,
    "Take me to New York right away."

Now the stupid song has been burned into my ear for the rest of the day.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Missed a good chance at a Simpsons reference with all this Swarthmore bashing.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And your SAT was what, B_S?

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Ragu, what happened to your med school rejectee? Did he make it?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh yeah, he got into some schools and went to a pretty prestigious one and got an MD and a PhD. It was just funny, because he also got a bunch of rejections. It never had occurred to him that anyone would reject him, and he got rejected by a bunch of them -- some of them, he went for the interview and the rejection letter came the same week.

9. sportbook

sportbook Member

A girl that played softball for me is a freshman at Duke. She had a 35 on her ACT (36 is perfect) and was also accepted at UVA and Northwestern. She was rejected by Michigan.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

She should write a snotty whiny op-ed for the WSJ blaming it all on "quotas."

Bring plenty of the butthurt.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Our valedictorian had a 1600 on the SAT (when that was the max score) and straight A's through high school, even taking math and science at a very good local college as a senior. He also was an Eagle Scout and had a handful of other extracurricular activities. I still remember this because it seemed so absurd: He got in to Harvard, Penn, Stanford, Duke, West Point and one or two other elite universities but was rejected by his top choice, Princeton.

Sometimes schools have very specific desires in prospective students. That's their right.

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The thing about the Ivy League (or at least it used to be, before the Great Funk) is that most any degree from them was worth something in the job market. My sister worked at a hedge fund in New York and she'd see Yalies who majored in Geology or Romance Languages start out in high-paying analyst positions. And the publishing world is littered with folk whose four years in the Harvard English department actually paid off (as opposed to it being their time before law school.)

So, as entitled and (let's be frank) race-baiting as her essay was, she had something of a point. She ground out four years in high school. Now she's got to grind out four more in college and hope those pay off?

Draft saved Draft deleted