1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's this op-ed missing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 3, 2013.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's also the fact that people think that other people will think (or make note of) one's elite credentials. Reporters, for example, almost universally mention one's credentials (however relevant) when one has an Ivy League (or similarly elite) pedigree. Individual X -- no matter how loony -- will be referred to as "Harvard educated" regardless of whether that background has anything to do with what X is drawing coverage for. Keith Olbermann, for example, was accepted to and graduated from one of Cornell's non-Ivy schools, but he routinely tried (and managed) to append a little Ivy League cache to his background.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why would a kid from Pittsburgh write a letter to the Wall Street Journal? It's not some bastion of education reporting.

We'll disagree, strongly, about the names of the schools being in the piece. To her, "name brand" might have been Wellesley or Amherst or Vassar. Unless you know the family, you don't "know" what she means by that, and she didn't even write those words in the op-ed, anyhow. Northwestern is a terrific school ranked ahead of many Ivy League schools. It's also in the Big Ten. She could have gotten in there, and we'd be befuddled as to the nature of her concern.

My discernment of the letter is that it's a little more than a whine/lament about not getting into school of your dreams, but a critique that schools value the wrong things - such as service trips, playing music, internships. There's a clear conservative undertone to it.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Also agree with Alma that this is strange piece of work.

But there are already 960+ comments appended to the web version, so it's easy enough to figure why the WSJ published it.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Cornell is an Ivy League school. There would be nothing for Olbermann to append. That whole "Olbermann / non-Ivy League part of Cornell" nonsense came from Ann Coulter a few years ago. She knows better, because she is a Cornell grad too.

First, the Ivy League is simply a sports conference. It doesn't designate anything officially beyond that. Secondly, Cornell isn't divided into "real Cornell" and "non Cornell" schools.

Some of the COLLEGES within Cornell are endowed by New York State -- and students from New York get a tuition break. Which makes those colleges great deals for New Yorkers if they can get in. For many, who don't qualify for a lot of financial aid, getting into one of those endowed schools is the only chance they have of being able to afford an Ivy League education.

But if you graduate from Cornell you graduated from Cornell, whether it was from the College of Arts and Sciences or the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (as Olbermann did). It's difficult to get into any of Cornell's schools, and no matter your school or major, you take classes in all of Cornell's colleges.

The looking down on the endowed colleges is a snob thing (as in, they are getting their education at a discount, so they are not legit). ... Ann Coulter took that snob thing to a whole new place to suggest that Olbermann's degree isn't legit or it is somehow from a Cornell that is not the Ivy League Cornell or that he is somehow claiming to be something he's not.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The CJR shares similar concerns and answers the "why the WSJ" question.

http://www.cjr.org/the_kicker/suzy_lee_weiss_wall_street_jou.php

Weiss’s own ability to relay her complaints so widely speaks to one of the other major factors influencing college admissions: connections. Weiss is the younger sibling of Bari Weiss, a Tablet editor and former assistant editorial page editor at—wait for it—the Wall Street Journal.

6. doctorquant

Fair enough ... probably shouldn't have used the word "append." I will say that, on following it a bit, Olbermann did appear guilty of a bit of apple-polishing re: his background (the whole "My Ivy League education ..." bit). I thought it was a pretty funny pissing match between two pretty pissy individuals. This struck me as pretty funny, too:

http://www.ivygateblog.com/2009/03/the-great-ivy-league-snob-off-part-ii-keith-olbermann-is-embarrassing-too/

I did read somewhere that, back in the 1970s (when Olbermann would have applied), CALS was substantially easier to get into than Arts/Sciences. Is that true? Doesn't much matter, I am just curious.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Of all the sob stories I've seen lately, this is the worst. Boo-fucking-hoo.

8. The Big Ragu

Olbermann comes off as a douche in that video. But he's still a douche with his Cornell degree -- which apparently he'd pin to his lapel if he could. It's as legit as Ann Coulter's degree, even if they both have serious problems.

I have no idea what the relative acceptance rates were in the 1970s for Cornell's various colleges. I would guess that it was always difficult to get into any of them.

Cornell's motto is “I would found an institution where any person can find instruction in any study,” supposedly said by Ezra Cornell.

The University has world-class departments in just about any esoteric field of study you can think of -- and many of then fall within colleges other than the College of Arts and Sciences (which is essentially for the liberal arts majors).

One of the other endowed colleges is the School of Industrial and Labor Relations. There is a School of Human Ecology, which is also endowed by the state.

There are also specialized colleges that are not endowed -- it would be interesting to see Ann Coulter's take on graduates from the School of Hotel Administration, for example (which is the one that usually gets joked about). Or the Engineering or Architecture Colleges.

You can name any of Cornell's colleges and you could put together a pretty good list of alumni who were CEOs or judges or diplomats or Nobel or Pulitzer winners. From a google search, I just learned that Cornell's ag school alumni include the inventor of the chicken nugget, the president and GM of the Toronto Raptors, the inventor of birth control pills and a Nobel Laureate / plant geneticist.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think is rather tailored sob story.

10. doctorquant

Don't forget paper salesman (The Office's Andy Bernard)!

I can't put my finger on it, but I recall reading in Halberstam's The Fifties that Pincus (the co-inventor of The Pill) went to a bitter grave over the fact that, when all was said and done, 1) he got little credit for his invention; and 2) profits from early sales of the pill were used to set up a research center/foundation at Harvard.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Something that unites SJ's left and right. Kumbaya!

12. The Big Ragu

Tailored by who, and in what way?

For what it is worth, the kid got rejected by Princeton, Yale, Vanderbilt and the University of Pennsylvania.

She wrote the thing and sent it to the WSJ. They printed it as an opinion piece.

The fact that her sister used to work at the Journal answers your question about why a kid from Pittsburgh would write something and send it to the WSJ.

Why is any of it so hard to believe?

Draft saved Draft deleted