1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the worst state in the Union?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I have relatives who live there, and outside of them I really can think of no other reason to ever go to North Dakota. I mean at least South Dakota has the Corn Palace in Mitchell.

But North Dakota does have oil we'll need someday, so I suppose we should be nice to them.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Well, my mom (whose entire family grew up in Oklahoma) always said it's called the Sooner state for a reason: The sooner you get out, the better off you are.
    Not that that's original but I always found it interesting that she'd say it considering she goes back yearly to visit family.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Amazed this thread got so far without discussion of the Kentucky/West Virginia corridor.

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I've spent parts of my life living in Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, and I'd vote for Oklahoma being easily the worst of the states. I was born in Oklahoma, and still have a ton of family that live there, including my mother. My vote is mainly due to the lack of scenery, the backwards ass laws, and the backwards ass people.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Mississippi is last or close to it in everything.
    South Carolina isn't much better.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The state of misery. Thank you.

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Do New Hampshire or Vermont have any purpose being separate states? When I lived in that neck of the woods, I could never figure out anything distinct about either of them.

Wyoming is fairly useless, though pretty. Can I vote for the panhandle of Texas without the rest of the state? God damn that's some ugly, flat country with nothing but cotton and pump-jacks.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I guess you don't hunt or fish much.

Don't forget the chocolate.

PA is not at the top, but it isn't at the bottom either.

I drove through Iowa once. I didn't see anything that would make me want to return.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

So if they build it, you won't come?

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Aside from Chicago, Illinois is worthless, but Chicago a nothing-special city?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I guess it's just because I grew up near it, so I'm too used to it?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, I'm used to it, too, but I think that's one of the city's draws, that is has lots of big-city stuff, but you don't feel overwhelmed there, a la New York.

Draft saved Draft deleted