1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the most you've ever worked in one day/week ?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, May 7, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I should point out I did much worse in college – I think 42 hours more-or-less-straight once to get a project completed – but that kind of crazy crap us what college is for, I think.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

That and sex parties.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

16 hours, then 12, then 16, then 12, then 16, then 12 for a month.

I struck a deal with the ME. I claimed 10 hours of overtime and banked the rest as comp time. They were still paying me two months after I'd left.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I've done 18.5 in a day -- start driving at 4 a.m. to get to state softball tournament (paper too cheap for night before) for an 8 a.m. game and then have to do a 2 p.m. game which starts late, due to rain, and then gets delayed twice. Got off the clock at 10:30 p.m.

5. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

My last year of college, I commuted 45 miles Monday-Thursday and had a part-time job at the paper in my hometown. The "part-time" was Tuesday (about 4 hours), Wednesday (4 hours), Thursday (4 hours), Friday (8 hours), Saturday (4-10 hours) and Sunday (6 hours).

My days started when I left for school at 7:30 a.m., and ended at our press time (1:30 a.m.), and I didn't get a day off from mid-August until Thanksgiving.

I did this because I thought, as we're taught in the good US of A, that if we work hard and are good at what we do, we'll be rewarded.

Then I got a full-time job and realized someone doesn't like me.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I did that, too, but there was a little accident. Apparently someone "owes me one." I'm still waiting.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh, yeah. I worked two full-time jobs for about five months before leaving town. I'd work 7 a.m.-3 p.m. at the hotel and 4 p.m.-2 a.m. at the newspaper. Those were fun times.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

couple of saturdays ago, i worked 13 hours straight without a break. the only thing i stopped for was to use the bathroom. and that doesnt include the 9 hours i put in from 5 pm that friday to 2 am that saturday. was back in the office at 11 am saturday and worked til midnight.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'll just say this: I hope y'all got paid for all, uhh, most of those hours. There's no honor in working ... 28-hour days :D ... and not getting paid for it.

Me? I had a stretch of working 84 of 90 days after our SE quit. And most of those were 10-12 hour days. Good times. Definitely helped me out when applying for my next jobs, too.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I worked a 20-hour day on election day once. Came in at 6 a.m. to work on that week's paper, then did election coverage that night. The votoing booths screwed up so we were waiting until nearly 2 a.m. to get everything finished. I went home, grabbed three hours of sleep, got back up at 6 a.m. and worked another 6 hours.

During the playoffs in Ohio, I once put in an 18 hour day between state cross country in the morning and football plaoff game that night along with long-ass drive for both.

11. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Back when I was a one-man sports department, I usually worked until 6 a.m. (or later sometimes) during football Fridays. One Friday, I had a signing at a school 45 minutes away at 8 a.m. Came in the office at 6:30 a.m., got some stuff done and headed out to the school. Covered football that night and left at 6 a.m. So 23.5 hours on the clock. But I also had a one-hour commute each way. So I guess you could say 25.5 hours.

My second gig, I worked briefly with a copy ed who had a second job in a factory. She worked something like 28 consecutive days between the two jobs - doubling up the hours several times per week. She quit the newspaper job at the end of that stretch.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Ah ... the memories. My current shop requires hourly employees, under normal circumstances (state playoffs and the like are exceptions), to take two days off per week.

When I was a one-man show at a weekly, I had an 85-hour week and pulled a 31-hour shift --- meal breaks and quickie nap on the office sofa included -- trying to finish a prep football tab.

Draft saved Draft deleted