1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the last movie that made you cry or tear up?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, May 7, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

When Emma gets the Joni Mitchell disc at XMas.... and then when Bill Nighy tells his beaten-down manager he loves him... and when God Only Knows starts up at the end...

Damn, Love Actually gets me about a half-dozen times.... and I mean major waterworks.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

There's nothing that gets me near tears in Love Actually -- I love that flick, by the way -- but there is one moment that gives me chills. One of my favorite movie moments ever. At the Christmas concert, when the little girl starts to sing, she just stuns the crowd. The scene takes probably half a second on screen, but its the reaction shot of Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman. The look on their faces just as the girl hits that note... wow. Every time I watch that flick, I end up watching just that little snippet over and over. Brilliant.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Tha whole last episode is just devastating, and when they reveal which of the vignette speakers is which guy, you'd have to be made of fucking stone if you saw the whole series and didn't break.

The movie that is like an emotional rototiller for me is "Magnolia." There are eight or 10 scenes in it that break me up, and as a result it looks like I just weep through the whole thing, so I never watch it with anyone present. John C. Reilly in damn near every scene, Macy with the "I have so much love to give, and I don't know where to put it," Cruise telling his dying father he won't cry for him, Stanley waking his dad up to say "You have to be nicer to me" -- I think it wrecks me more than most people (I admit I have dad issues), but I don't know how anyone could not be affected by that film.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

My Girl.

Shawshank Redemption. "Maybe I just miss my friend." What a great line.

Terms of Endearment. (I'm a mother of a daughter, so this one does it for me.)

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Strangely enough, I cried at the end of Family Stone.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

"Armageddon," when Bruce Willis stays on the comet and tells Ben Affleck he always thought of him as a son, but would be proud to have him as a son-in-law. And then he dies to save the whole planet.

I wish I were joking about this.

7. dooley_womack1

OK, can't lie: Couple parts of Happy Feet did too.

8. ArnoldBabar

Dude, you should just stop now.

9. dooley_womack1

The guy who cries to EMHE needs to STFU.

:D

10. ArnoldBabar

I will defend that to the death over crying about hip-hop-dancing CGI penguins. There's not a jury in the world, chief.

11. dooley_womack1

But they're reallly cute ones who have to go through sooo...

Yeah, maybe I should just stop now.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks for taking care of that, Dools. :D

When I was 11 or 12, I cried at The Outsiders when the brothers reunited in the hospital. "I thought we'd lost you, Pony, like we lost mom and dad." Ditto for Purple Rain when Prince sings the title song for his comatose dad.

I saw E.T. in the theatre with my mom and sister. The theatre was dead silent at the end...until my sister's wracking sobs filled the room. I managed to hold off on the waterworks, though it was sad as hell.

Can't recall anything current making me weepy, though I got a lump in my throat throughout Shawshank Redemption. Apollo 13 almost got me when I saw it in the theatre in 1995, even though I knew the ending. Those few seconds of silence before they re-enter...riveting stuff.

And count me among those who gets goosebumpy at the end of Major League...especially when Rene Russo comes running on to the field to hug Berenger.

Draft saved Draft deleted