1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the First Big News Story You Were Aware Of As a Kid?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Vague remembrance of the hostages being released from Iran, because our teacher explained to us what happened and to listen carefully at noon for church bells to chime.

After that, if I'm remembering correctly, was Reagan's assassination attempt, because there was supposed to be a Peanuts special airing that night, but got pre-empted.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have vague recollections of reports about Vietnam when I was little. I remember snippets from Watergate even better than that. My memories start to get really vivid around the time of the bicentennial celebration in 1976 and the election that November that Carter won.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'll amend mine to the bicentennial. I vaguely remember Ford/Carter but Ragu's post jogged my memory and I definitely remember the bicentennial.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Two from 1972:

News: the hostage taking at the Munich Olympics

Sports: the Canada-Russia Summit Series

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Goddamn, all you people are old!

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Get off my lawn. ... you little pishah.

JackReacher likes this.
  7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Detroit riots, summer of 1967. Park about a mile or so from our house in the hood was a staging area for National Guard troops and their heavy equipment. Remember the tanks and other armored vehicles.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We're wily veterans, kid.

JackReacher likes this.
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My earliest memory of a news event is Martin Luther King's assassination. I was in the dental college at the University of Kentucky getting some temporary false teeth because I broke off four front ones when I fell running up the front stairs of our house. Updates were coming over the radio in the waiting room.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My parents took me to a parade/campaign rally for JFK in the early fall of 1960, when I had just turned 2. I sat on my dad's shoulders as the parade passed by.

My parents took pictures so I know what happened, but I don't really remember anything about it, other than JFK (tall, young, red haired) and Jackie (black haired in a fancy coat and dress) kind of resembled my parents, so it made sense to me they should be in charge of the whole country.

Our family was Irish Catholic so needless to say JFK was considered a god in our house.

Also, Ike resembled one of my grandfathers, who had died 5 years before I was born, so it kind of made sense to me that old bald guys would fade into the background and would just live on in BW photos from then on.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

On a related note, the first time I noticed a newspaper was the day after John Wayne died. Huge headline in the smalltown paper.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The 1989 San Francisco quake. I wasn't in the Bay Area at the time, but I remember watching it on TV and my mom's friend claiming she saw brains in the Bay Bridge footage. There was also Bush getting elected in 1988, but I remember that only because I didn't understand why everyone was getting excited that he won champagne.

Draft saved Draft deleted