1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the deal in Dallas?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

(Hope this isn't a D_B)
    Has anyone been following the situation with the Dallas Press Club? Very bizarre...
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/042107dnmetalbanese.37b2682.html

Elizabeth Albanese may be one of the most honored journalists in North Texas. Or she could be at the center of one of its biggest media scandals.

The organization she led until last month, the Press Club of Dallas, is investigating whether she truly earned the four awards she won in a contest for which she helped arrange the judging.

Documents obtained by The Dallas Morning News show that Ms. Albanese has a criminal record under the name Lisa Albanese centered on allegations of theft. Former co-workers described a history of spinning lies. She also has a record of mental illness and delusional behavior.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Just goes to show you, anyone with a criminal history and mental illness can do this job.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

Mental illness and delusional behavior. She's perfectly suited to enter the coaching ranks.

4. fishwrapper

FIXED. No blue note needed.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

wow, if there were no judges did this nutjob just pick all the winners herself in every category?

6. txsportsscribe

and if you're a 2006 katie winner (or any time during the years she was in charge of judging), do you remove it from your resume as an individual and from promotional material if you're a media outlet?

7. fishwrapper

How do you think it went?

"In the category of Best Explanatory Piece... Aw, fuck it. I WIN."
    "In the category of Best Breaking News Story...Um, shit. I WIN, again."
    "In the category of Best Event Coverage Piece...Damn. I'm good. I'm really good. I WIN."

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

She won awards the Evil Empire didn't.

Sour grapes? Gotta ask the question.

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

I had the same question.

10. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

After all of the plagiarism cases over the past decade, I'm not really surprised by this. It seems like just another way for a whack-job, delusional journalist to raise the bar in terms of making herself look better by any mean's possible, and also subjecting our profession to even more ridicule.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The originial "sour grapes" on this story were "stomped" by the Dallas Business Journal, which reported about a week ago that there could be problems in the Dallas Press Club leadership and with the 2006 Katies. This story has been a hot topic for the last week and the DMN reported on it Saturday with its story. Not exactly sour grapes for the Evil Empire, but it WAS a long story that was on 1A. Gotta wonder if the readers give a shit; but, it WAS a Saturday so none of the readers read it anyway.

12. txsportsscribe

from the dallas biz journal followup:

Press Club president no longer believes '06 Katies were judged
    Dallas Business Journal - 4:20 PM CDT Friday, April 20, 2007
    by Dave Moore
    Staff Writer

The new president of the Press Club of Dallas says he no longer believes the 2006 Katie Awards were judged at all. And the 2005 edition of the journalism and mass communications contest also is in question, club President Tom Stewart said Friday.

The club now plans to hire an attorney and seek a sworn statement from its former president, Elizabeth Albanese, Stewart added.

The Dallas Business Journal first reported April 14 that the Press Club of Dallas could not identify who judged the 2006 contest. The Katie program is the marquee event for the Press Club, which uses proceeds from the function to provide journalism scholarships to college students through the Press Club of Dallas Foundation, a nonprofit corporation.

Stewart late last week attempted to reach judges from a list of e-mail addresses provided to him by Albanese, who was chiefly in charge of finding judges to review the 2006 Katies entries.

"I received an e-mail back from one of them today," Stewart said following an executive session of the Press Club board of directors Friday. The e-mail, he added, said: "Yes, I did that. I helped participate in the process. And I'd be happy to do it again. Probably not to the extent that we did it last year."

Stewart said the e-mail contained the phone number of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn.

"When I asked for the person, they indicated that no one worked in that particular building at St. Jude's by that name," Stewart said.

Draft saved Draft deleted