1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the biggest misconception people you know have about sports journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norman Stansfield, Sep 3, 2006.

1. I agree that we have a cool job. The problem is we have a job where mistakes we make are public and the pay is completely out of whack.
    In a way, it's worse than teachers (and my wife is one, so don't jump on me about that). Teachers do more for our society (though you could make an argument for the real watchdogs keeping the goverment in check being just as valuable) but their average pay is higher than ours and they get more time off.
    Again, my wife is a teacher, so I realize they don't get three months off in the summer, but they get weekends off and certainly have easier summers than most jobs.
    Per hour, their pay is WAY higher than ours.
    In fact, I can't think of a lot of jobs that get paid less per-hour than the typical sports writer.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Agree totally. In fact, that was my common misconception earlier.

3. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Ladies and gentlemen, the definitive point. This thread is clear.

4. boots

boots New Member

Allen Iverson may have said it best: "I can do your job but I'll bet you you can't do mine."

5. lono

lono Active Member

BWAHAHAHA!!! Allen Iverson can't even talk. I'd love to see him try to write ... that would be special.

And speaking of A.I., he's really been a difference maker with the Nuggets, hasn't he? [/threadjack]

6. boots

boots New Member

He may talk slang but I was there when he said it and to be honest, I understood where he was coming from to a certain extent. I might be wrong, but more people will read an Allen Iverson by-lined story than yours.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I'll bet Iverson can do my job just as bad as I can do his though.

8. boots

boots New Member

That's probably, and sadly, correct.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, Jenn Sterger does have a column for SI.com, so I suppose that's a progression toward A.I.

Draft saved Draft deleted