1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the bigger story for a local paper?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Aug 20, 2008.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Yeah, I'd go with A: 600 locals versus 1 whom you covered a couple of weeks ago. Also, the local teacher/coach probably has a lot of students/players (read: readers) who would be interested in how he did.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Are there any local people involved in scenario A?

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

If you have to choose, and I'd absolutely do both, my gut says B

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Nice.

5. VJ

VJ Member

Is neither an option?

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help guys. We basically agreed that we need more staff writers so that we don't have to choose between these two stories.

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

My initial gut reaction was B, but since you just covered the athlete and the other story involves 600 locals, I'd go with option A. Also, is the charity involved a local one? If so, it tips the scale that much further towards story A

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm leaning toward B.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Ha!

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Let me clarify something between the two, since I'm the one involved in this.

Technically, both events are out of the coverage area, but since we're in Rhode Island, everything is close.
    The local road race already happened and a teacher/coach from North Bumfuck came in second. The race was in Beachtown, just south of South Bumfuck, so we're only talking a trip of maybe 10 miles. He was also one of the older competitors in the field, which was open to anyone who wanted to help the charity out.

Golfing hasn't happened yet. It's a national tournament thing in its first year and our golfer, who attends North Bumfuck, is playing. The only events we've covered her in this summer was the state amateur - which is a joke in RI. She's played in a few national events, but this one is out of our coverage area - it's about 15 miles to the north in Capital City.

The point of the question is, taking away the agate and other competitors - and keep in mind we're a weekly - which is a bigger story? Teacher finishing second at road race?
    Girl playing in national event?

11. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

A.

For a local weekly, it'll get more names in the paper, maybe a few shots of locals as well, and it'll draw good readership.

Also, you just stated you'd covered the B athlete. If nothing else, do a folo.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Take agate out of the equation.

Again.

Draft saved Draft deleted