1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's the best movie you've seen this year?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's an amazing streak. Hell, the two best films I've seen this year might be Changeling and Gran Torino.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I've only watched a few: TDK, Step Brothers, Iron Man, The Express, and Tropic Thunder. I love the movies, but am sorta picky with ticket prices out here.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i saw so many movies the first 6 months but need to go back thru the thread to remember. some were from previous years.

as for 2008 movies, benjamin button.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Marley and me ;D

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Slumdog Millionaire. Thoroughly enjoyed the way they intertwined the classes in the storyline.

The Wrestler was pretty darn good.

Loved Tropic Thunder. Downey is truly one of the acting jewels of my generation (40+). What diversity.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm not crazy about the Coen brothers, but Burn After Reading was superb. I laughed my ass off during this flick. Say what you will about Brad Pitt, but the guy can play a brainless doofus like nobody else.

"I mean, Jesus Fucking Christ. What the fuck have we learned?" (Fade to black)

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Understood. But I HATED Gump, and LOVED BB. Go figure.

8. Mizzougrad96

I thought Burn After Reading was completely overrated.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

After that piece, and Leatherheads, suspect that the era of a quasi-comedy being expected to float solely on Clooney's charm
    is swiftly drawing to a close.

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't know... Watch Michael Clayton and Syriana and he's completely brilliant.

I just don't think he can do comedy unless it's an Oceans film.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Loved Clooney in Michael Clayton, and I'm very picky about my Clooney material.

The reviews I read said Jolie's performance in Changeling was overworked. I don't see her getting nominated.

After forcing myself to watch Mystic River a few years ago, I have sworn off Eastwood-directed stuff. It's hard for me to describe why I hate it. (LOVED Unforgiven, though.)

Benjamin Button is so so not my thing (somebody ages backwards? C'mon.), so that'll be another one I'll have to force myself to watch. Not a Pitt fan at all ....

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thought MC and S were both fine . . . problem with both was that both scripts pretty much went right over the heads of mainstream audiences.

Clooney can get laughs, but they're typically largely based on his screen personna and vocal patterns . . . and in that respect, he's much like Gable.

Draft saved Draft deleted