1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's standard "lay of the land" time?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, May 25, 2010.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Apropos of a situation I will not share here, I was thinking ... how much time should it take before you're comfortable in a new job? How long til you feel you know everyone you work with well enough to relax, or at least know when and around whom you can relax? My thought: It probably depends on a lot of factors, but I'm thinking a year before you have a real feel for the personalities and group dynamics.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Typically, you wait until there is someone else who is the newbie. Most jobs I've had, the newbies cling together.
    Of course, when people who have been there longer start confiding in you that they "hate" someone else at work - that's a good sign too.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd say a year. That way you've been through the cycle and aren't hit with surprises and such.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'd say 1-3 months. If it takes longer than that to feel comfortable and/or relaxed around the people you're working with then something is wrong.
    Then again, I worked at the same paper for 19 years so what do I know? :D

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Been at my new gig for 5 months. I am pretty comfortable here. Already learned all the internal processes and have more respect from my bosses than I got from 16 months at the newspaper I worked at last. Things are more comfortable. Based on the situation I suppose.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm incapable of being uncomfortable in new places. The same filter I don't have here, I don't have at work. I only get uncomfortable when I'm made to feel uncomfortable. Thankfully, my new coworkers haven't done that, and I think we get along well.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Depends on a lot of factors, really. Sometimes, you can spend any amount of time and still not feel comfortable. Sometimes, the fit's right from the very beginning.

At least that's been my experience.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

By comfortable and relaxed, do actually mean farting?

9. ripple

ripple Member

For me, it was 3-4 months. Midway through football season, I felt like I had it down.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

No, flatulence is a seperate category.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Six months or so seems right, but I think it takes a full year in a sports department to get a feel for how all seasons are handled/not handled.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

If I wasn't too old to start a band, I would start one and call it:
    relaxed=farting

Draft saved Draft deleted