1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's on your floor?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Feb 22, 2010.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Aw, crap. I get it now.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Serious answer: Hardwood floors. It's an older building, a multi-family home. I love it.

The laminate floors that look like hardwood that piece together (I think it's laminate, whatever) always look nice, but they're costlier.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

When I bought my 1920s Tudor it had wall-to-wall carpeting all over the place. I removed it found beautiful, detailed hardwood floors beneath, as I suspected. The only place I have carpet now is in the staircase and upstairs hallway.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Something similar slayed me in my place. My building is of unknown date. Probably late 1800s, which makes it a youngster for the area I live in. Brilliantly nice details and plasterwork throughout the buildings and the apartments. My place had been done over so poorly on the cheap, though. Before I renovated the place, the bedroom had this bad tiling -- I can't even describe how cheap and horrible it was. We assumed there were hardwood floors underneath like there are in the living room (and they are beautiful), but couldn't know for sure. So when we renovated, we lifted the tiling and underneath someone had nailed a piece plywood as a backer. We lifted the plywood and underneath there were these beautiful hardwood floors that just need to sanded and refinished. Why anyone would have done that to floors like these was beyond comprehension. Some of the work I did required taking out bits of flooring in the living room and bedroom (to remove old radiators and caps), so we removed the hardwood from the closets, carpeted the insides of the closets and used the floors from the closets to refloor the areas we messed with. It worked out really well.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I blame the '70s. All of a sudden, beautiful details in homes was covered up by fake wood paneling and shag carpets and bean-bag chairs.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

We installed it ourselves and a couple of place the boards have started to separate. So I would suggest professional installiation

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Saltillo tile through most of the house with carpet in the bedrooms and living room.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Cheap linoleum on the kitchen floor - needs to be replace. We will do it with ceramic tile.
    Hardwood in entry foyer and two "formal" rooms up front. Kind of joke since both are cluttered storage rooms for now. Need to be refinished after 18 years.
    Nice Berber carpet in family/sun room combo. We spend almost all our time there and put the most money into flooring there.

"Builder grade" carpet up steps, upper foyer and in four rooms up there. Will go as soon as I can afford it.

Hardwood in master bath - should have gone with ceramic tile. Tile in other bath, has held up pretty well.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I like the ceramic tile in my kitchen a lot. I was looking for something really specific because I remodeled the whole kitchen and everything was new and I was trying to match up cabinets to granite countertops to tile to paint color to steel appliances. I did this without a designer, just my sister giving me advice. I had a budget and had made up my mind to go really basic in the bathroom (which is small) and spend more on the kitchen.

I had a specific tile in mind that I saw in a magazine, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Home Depot in Manhattan (which is bigger and has more options than most HDs but is not officially an HD Expo) had something close, but it wasn't blowing me away. It was in my price range, though. It was special order and would have taken a few weeks, I think. I left there to think it over and was walking and saw a random tile store on the Upper East Side. I walked in and the guy had the perfect tile I was looking for, but it cost three times as much as the HD tile. So I was just blunt with the guy. I said I loved the tile, but it was out of my price range and there was something at HD a few blocks away that was close enough for a lot less $$. I told him his tile was nicer, but there was no way. The guy asked me the price of the HD tile, I told him, and he matched it on his tile. Next day, I drove over and loaded my trunk with tile. They were a bitch to carry upstairs!

Renovating an apartment taught me how much room there is for negotiation on a lot of things. That was one of those instances.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I tore my back up loading and unloading tile when we were building the house.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Hardwood throughout except in the kitchen/back door, bathroom and front entry way, where there's tile. Love the hardwoods.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have foot problems, so too much walking or even standing on hardwood hurts my feet. I hang out pretty often at a friend's house. She's got hardwood and makes her guests take off their shoes. After a couple of hours over there, my feet are always sore. My apartment is carpeted. Nothing fancy.

Draft saved Draft deleted