1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's in the cards for 2007?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Prince of Persia, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Just saw something on CNN about employers looking to pay their employees better rates in 2007. Hard to believe that will happen in the journalism industry, but with this world turning more digital everyday, maybe there is hope for higher paying gigs. Just wondering what people think about where journalism is heading in 2007 and what they think about their own prospects for the new year. Looking to move up? Move out of journalism? Go from sports to news/features/editorials?

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

My guess, if you're looking for more cash in our brave new multi-media world, you're better off staying in sports than moving to news side.
    Sports writers are more of a brand than news writers and their name tends to carry more weight across platforms (look at how much a columnist can pull in doing radio/tv work). There's also more freelance work, at least at the newspaper level, and websites that'll pay you for your work on the side. Basically, if you want to be entrepreneurial, there's a broader paying market for your knowledge of, say, the Baltimore Orioles or Kentucky basketball than of, say, economic development in Baltimore or crime news in Lexington.
    But if you really want to pull in the bucks, get thee to Wall Street or some such place.
    As for my prospects, trying to get to the next level (a metro), both for the professional challenges and b/c I'd like to be plugged in someplace I'd actually like to live if the industry becomes totally intolerable and I decide to find other employment.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Since most newspapers have failed to put themselves into a position to improve, I predict more of the same: A general malaise in which people are hired for being cheaper, not better, and the product will continue to display the symbols of serious neglect.

Like 2006, there should be at least one major fuck-up that gets printed in nearly every newspaper. Then there will be lots of hand-wringing, but no solutions.

Another chain will bite the dust in 2007.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My boss is chomping at the bit to raise my pay. He can barely wait till Jan. 1 in fact.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Somebody famous will die. Then another and still another. It's called "they die in threes"

Oh yeah, and the Cubs won't win the World Series in 2007.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So again you get spurned by the Plain Dealer?

8. Franklin

Franklin Member

james brown. gerald ford. wonder who rounds out the trio.

9. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

I'm biding my time and hoping to get on the staff at major metro by the end of 2007 or so, hopefully.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You're hired.

11. Floyd

Floyd Member

brown, ford, and I'll go out on a limb and say Saddam Hussein will be the next one to go. I dunno, man. I've just got a feeling on this one.

12. TheEck

TheEck New Member

Wham will reunite and deliver the best-selling CD of all time, Tom Cruise will become a Southern Baptist and start making those Left Behind movies like Kirk Cameron, a nude photo of Hillary Clinton will be revealed that shows she has a penis, and the mullet will make a comeback. Should be a good year.

Draft saved Draft deleted