1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's happening in Nashville (important update)?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Re: What's happening in Nashville?

I'm intrigued to know what "can't hit big-league pitching" means in relation to running a sports section in Tennessee. Any thoughts?

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm guessing that means he couldn't handle the job at a larger paper. The Titans and Preds are pro beats, and the Vols might as well be.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And I'm still on record as saying that the Tennessean will get its ass kicked for a good long while if it hires someone not already on the beat. There are some good reporters on that beat who people know, and there are some good ones who are not given the respect they deserve.

And no, I'm not on that beat.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That was my intention in crafting that sentence, yes.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I pretty understood the reference, but for insiders, I'm seeking the home-run answer. What does the paper want out of its SE in terms of running the show? Because after 18 years in this biz, I'd love to know if I could hit big-league pitching.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

I've always used the A/AA/AAA/majors description of this field, fairly or not. I'm looking forward to being like one of those guys in the '40s who played with the Cards or Giants and then spends another 10 years with the Hollywood Stars in the PCL.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My understanding is that he's been the hitting coach helping the SEs hit big-league pitching.

8. boots

boots New Member

Nashville is an excellent stop on the journalism food chain. You'll be well-paid and if appreciated, may stay a few years.
    There are issues there, just like everywhere else, but it's not a bad gig. There have been success stories.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The "he" in that sentence is Mike Jones? Assuming that's what you meant, I would heartily agree.

And I would say that all SE's need a guy like that. I have played that role before and now that I have taken the step up to the next spot, that's what I need backing me up ...

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Can't believe this joke hasn't been made yet.

Who?

11. Re: What's happening in Nashville?

Mike Jones!! Mike Jones!!!

(you're welcome Circus)

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Does that mean you're hiring, HH?

Draft saved Draft deleted