1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's happening in Nashville (important update)?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jun 13, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Re: What's happening in Nashville?

I'D SECOND THAT.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Mike's problem, unless he has changed dramatically in recent years, is that he probably doesn't look that good in a suit.

I'm sure the last guy looked great in a suit, but he apparently did not know who Ray Mears was.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So I've heard, HH. And that's a shame if that's the thing holding him down.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Why was Mullen pulled off Vanderbilt?

5. the fop

the fop Member

Are you saying a new SE from another part of the country must come in knowing all notable former UT coaches? I'm thinking sometimes you have to rely on staffers with institutional knowledge to put it in context.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Back in the day, during my academic experiment at Western Kentucky U., The Tennessean was a damn fine paper.

Of course it wasn't Gannett then.

Fuck 'em all, y'all, fuck 'em all.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a contrarian, but how does someone not look good in a suit (assuming there's nothing wrong with the suit and it fits)? I don't think I've ever noticed someone not looking better in a suit than he did otherwise. A suit tends to compensate for our imperfections, at least it does with mine. I would wear one every day if I could.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If a SE came to Lexington and didn't know about Eddie Sutton, it wouldn't trouble me.

Adolph Rupp? Yeah, it would bother me.

Same with Mears in Tennessee.

9. HejiraHenry

At a newspaper which used to regularly take new staffers on a bus tour of the city, I'm not sure how much institutional knowledge you can count on. If you mean "David Climer and Chris Low should bail his ass out," then, indeed, that's what happened. Based on a look at yesterday's sports front, anyway.

I think a new SE from another part of the country should know something. If, having reviewed a year's worth of papers in his new shop – and I think that should be required homework – he or she ought to be able to intuit quite a bit. Such as – the orange blazer worn by Bruce Pearl was a direct shoutout to Mears. Ernie & Bernie, etc.

10. HejiraHenry

I don't mean that literally, exactly. That's more akin to my "can't hit big-league pitching" comment, which sailed to the backstop on a few readers here.

In a metaphorical sense, I don't look in a suit. But I looked great in the suit I bought for my wedding ... and which I can, three years later, still fit into quite nicely.

Bottom line: Mike's a great guy. And that's probably not helping his cause, either.

11. boots

boots New Member

Good guys always get fucked in the end.

12. HejiraHenry

There are at least two ways to read that sentence. I think I'll move on to something else.

Draft saved Draft deleted