1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's happened to McDonald's fries?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

BK is very aware their fries don't measure up. A few years ago they launched a major campaign specifically targeting McDonald's fries, claiming that BK product was better. Didn't really take off.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

And they have tried several different styles of fries through the years – even made a huge deal 3 or 4 years ago about changing them – and they all suck.

3. And I concur. I'll also throw out that I think Chick-fil-a nuggets are better than wendy, bk and mcdonalds.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This was years ago, so I am certain it isn't whatever you were talking about. They were frying their fries in oil that had beef tallow in it to add "flavor." Except the people working in the store had no clue what was in anything, so vegetarians would ask if the fries were meat free, and the counter people would tell them yes. Some hindus found out otherwise, and sued the living crap out of them. After that, McDonalds changed the oil they fried the fries in.

My attitude is, if you are a vegetarian or a Hindu with a restrictive diet, and you willingly go into McDonalds for food, you get what you desvere. I haven't stepped foot in one in at least 15 years.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ragu is a Hindu?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Which is the precise moment when they went to shit.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Maybe it's just the Wendys in my area, but their fries are the worst of the lot.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Here's the campaign I was talking about. Even Mr. Potato Head couldn't help:

www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-10-97/375783&EDATE

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I can't go into a McDonald's and watch them make the fries-- pull them out of the oil, dump them in the trough and then watch some teenager oversalt them. Yuck. Always in plain sight.

I love Chick-fil-A's fries, maybe in part because they're made out of the customer's eyes. That's gotta be part of the company m.o.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sorry Dooley, I know you are a legend around these parts but if I wanted to eat soggy-ass shit fries I would go to Wendy's. At least Burger King's are Crispy. My parts don't have Jack in the Box, so I will have to leave it that. Why anyone would eat at White Castle sober is news to me.

My fast-food french fry power rankings:

1. Checkers, formerly Rally's: Around my parts you can only hit these up via-drive through, so the Crispy golden brown fries are great on the ride home. And you have to love their burger name: the Big Buford. Guys named Buford eat big burgers, it just works.

2. A&W- Hard to come buy, but equally crispy and golden brown. They always taste real potatoey-fresh and the curliness is a nice touch. Also, you can't go wrong with a place that has root beer floats, coney dogs, and chili cheese fries.

3. McDonald's- They are nostalgic.

4. Burger King- Crispy... and you always seem to get that one onion ring that somehow got lost in the fry bin.

5. List to be continued after the Sonic opens in my neighborhood.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

"4. Burger King- Crispy... and you always seem to get that one onion ring that somehow got lost in the fry bin"

It's a ring but hardly an onion ring. BK fries and onion rings are fucking disgusting.

Draft saved Draft deleted