1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's happened to defense in college football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Fans got spoiled on those high-scoring arena games and demanded the same kind of excitement from the college kids.

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I loved how Alabama could have run their way to victory but chose to pass their way to defeat. You're Alabama, you have a clear physical advantage; use it. What a hilarious loss.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Didn't the old wishbone teams score like crazy, too?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I blame it on their Pac-12 offensive coordinator (Doug Nussmeier). ;)

But yeah, that was dumb.

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I mean, they very nearly lost to LSU for the same reason. Why is the most dominant physical team in college football afraid to run the ball? It can't seriously be some quest to make their coaches look smart, can it? But why else wouldn't you run to victory?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Believe me, that's the question Alabama fans have been asking themselves for two days (and really, as you said, since the LSU game). Why, when you've got the best offensive line in the country, are you afraid to run the ball inside the 10 with the game on the line?

They've had running back injuries/attrition this season, and Yeldon has turned into a bit of a fumbler. But Saban's never played scared, and now's no time to start.

I really think Nussmeier's West Coast sensibilities are part of it, but it's ultimately Saban's responsibility. He's got a headset on after all.

After four years of simply pounding the opposition into submission, Alabama has gotten too cute on offense lately. It cost them a game, and probably a championship.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, because gunners should be able to blast defenseless punt returners at will. The game doesn't have enough concussions.

I would like to see a change in rules for knocking punts back from the end zone onto the field. I'm not sure of the rule now, but I seem to recall players could go in the end zone, and as long as they weren't touching the ground, knock the ball back onto the field. Made the punts a little more exciting.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The NFL & college rules differ on that.

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Too much McCarron worship. They're trying to put the team on his shoulders when they don't need to, and I agree, it cost them the title.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gary Danielson found a new love in "Johnny Football" on Saturday.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'd like to see all clock stopping/starting standardized so that you could not stop it by doing "negative" things.

Clock stops only to mark the ball and then immediately starts again. No exceptions. No reward for running out of bounds or spiking the ball. You want to stop it? Call a timeout. You have three. Use them wisely.

Hello, three-hour game.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Didn't Alabama fans go gaga ape-shit because Alabama decided NOT to run in the BCS championship, McCarron came out throwing on every play and they put LSU away for good and he was awesome awesome AWESOME?!?!?!

Draft saved Draft deleted