1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's going to happen to Penn State football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many things on the PSU campus have Paterno's name on it? I haven't been there since I was in HS, so I'm guessing there are all kinds of things...

I read somewhere that Nike has a Children's Hospital named after him. I'm sure they'll change that and name it after Dave Bliss, Clem Haskins or Mark Mangino.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Sorry, but there's not a chance in hell it'll be Bradley. The next guy has to be someone who was nowhere near this scandal. Can't be someone with "wonder if he knew" whispers floating around him.

3. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

If you are talking candidates from Florida State, how about Myron Rolle.

A Rhodes Scholar who has done cancer research and also helped underprivileged kids.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You do realize that whoever Penn State hires as its coach will probably be someone older than 24 and likely someone with some experience coaching football, right?

5. kickoff-time

Of course, but this is about as polar opposite as the Paterno era as you can get.

Having lived in Pa and been to State College, I still was shocked to see that the Board of Trustees were almost entirely white middle-aged men.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's also not going to happen.

7. kickoff-time

Of course not, but it beats having them keep Bradley or anyone from this season.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Every indicator points straight to Tony Dungy.

1) Big Ten (BUT NOT PENN STATE) background

2) Pennsylvania (BUT NOT PENN STATE) background

3) Nearly-impeccable personal reputation, although the suicide of his son would certainly be dug up and chewed over. Of course any coaching candidate now at PSU will undergo a background check which will make your head spin; if you stole a pack of gum when you were 11 years old, it's going to come out.

4) Outstanding football credentials. Also has credibility as an educator (both his parents were teachers/administrators).

5) Right age (56); has the gravitas of maturity and several decades coaching experience yet still young enough to be there a decade.

Yes it will take a Saban-sized offer. They are going to have to pay to get any credible coach.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Rolle is not even in the coaching profession, for christs sake.

Good god, some folks have really rolled off their rocker today--keeping Bradley, hiring a kid who's never even been any sort of assistant--hard to imagine more ridiculous suggestions than these.

10. kickoff-time

Lighten the fuck up. Seriously. I only threw it out there because of the Bowdens being mentioned. I know there is no chance Myron Rolle would get it or even consider it.

Tony Dungy would be an excellent choice. But not sure he would want to step into this.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It might be better for that university to first consider who its president is going to be. Then it can get on with the matter of worrying about games.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There's still a lot of talent on the roster. It wouldn't be a from-the-blocks-up rebuilding job.

It's a situation unique in college football history in that a successor to a legendary coach would not only be allowed, but encouraged, to change everything about the whole program.

Usually a new coach stepping into a situation of that kind has to continually contend with old-guard alumni and boosters who scream if he tries to change anything good old Coach Legendary always used to do.

It goes without saying Dungy would have authority to change everything from the uniforms on up.

Draft saved Draft deleted