1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's goin' down Friday on Jeopardy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If everyone gets to keep the $16,000, why not bet that way instead of making an extra buck and maybe drawing some smarter guy like Birdscribe?

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

That guy - Steve - is unAmerican. When you are in that situation, you always bet $1 more so you win the game.

When you are on a quiz show, you are supposed to try to win. It's the American way - you do risks on quiz shows. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But you come there with nothing, so you might as well take the risk and make things more entertaining.

I can accept differing views on politics, religion, sports, whatever. But I can not accept what this jerk did. Hopefully he will go down to ignoble defeat on the next show and the Department of Homeland Security will deport him to some country which doesn't have game shows.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Well... karma caught up with him. He lost yesterday, blowing an easy question in the process.

A co-worker said he heard that the reason he played for the tie is because "it had never been done before." The dweeb heard this bit of trivia during the commercial breaks, when Alex takes questions from the audience and some kid asked if there had ever been a three-way tie.

Apparently, a light bulb went off at that point. ::)

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I smell a fix. I think he probably made an arrangement to have the other two split their winnings with him.

No wait, that's crazy talk. They'd never fix game shows....

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Here's what gets me: Jeopardy! consults some math expert who comes up with this stupid 1 in 25 million claim. He's basically saying that a single tie (two with the same score) is a 1 in 5,000 shot, and he's squaring that. The numbers aren't random anyway. Each contestant is aware of the other people's totals. No way it's that anywhere near that high. "What is bullshit?"

Draft saved Draft deleted