1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

what's for xmas dinner?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Dec 23, 2008.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

we'll have the same ol same ol turkey, ham, dressing, green beans, etc. on xmas day and more party-type foods on xmas eve when we do the actual gift openings. one of these i'll convince everyone to try something different like maybe a tex-mex xmas dinner.

anyone else have luck veering away from the traditional dinner?

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Yes, actually. Usually we'd do ham and the usual fixings, but we decided this year to go with more party-type food and something easy.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Not sure if I'm going to have beef stew or chinese food, whichever it is, I'll be bringing it into the office with me as I work Christmas for a 19th straight year.
    I'm also working Christmas Eve for a 19th straight year as well.. but at least we have early deadlines Christmas Eve (and regular deadlines Christmas Day).

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i work, so chinese.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I was asked to make a ham and cook my grandmother's German carrots recipe for dinner at Ms. Slappy's parents. Works out great for me because my SIL won't eat pork (bacon in the carrots) and watching the misery will be a perfect gift for me...

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm working as well, so probably stir fry or something.

7. My family is doing mexican food this year after many years of my mom and grandmother begging everyone to let them do it. I guess everyone finally gave in this year.

But I'll be five hours away and bored out of my mind at work, so I'll have to go find something.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Totally veering away. I think I'll do lemon chicken and artichoke dish. Not visiting anyone on Christmas Day or feting in any way, shape, or form.

Finally ... a Christmas the way I want it.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

We hit the road the afternoon of Christmas Eve and should be rolling into my folks' place at about 7 p.m. Dinner will be something easy and fast considering I'll be tired from driving, hungry as a bear and my mom will want to get to mass.

Christmas Day will be turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, peas and green beans, dinner rolls, cranberry on the side, gravy on the side. Lemon meringue pie, pumpkin pie for dessert. I'll have beer to drink. Everyone else will have wine, milk or water.

Now, aside from the beer I'll have to drink, I can't guarantee all that will come true. But it's mom, I can only remember her once serving ham. All the other sides have been the same since I can remember. And that's fine by me.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Christmas Eve after church, corned beef sandwiches, ham, various hors d'ouerves

Breakfast Christmas Day will include blueberry egg nog pancakes

Dinner Christmas Day, prime rib, asparagus, mashed potatoes

11. Raisin Ham

Raisin Ham Member

I'm all for the nontraditional idea!

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I am so there...

Draft saved Draft deleted