1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's everybody doing on Superbowl Sunday?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 30, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I knew a guy in college who would pose as a Jehovah's Witness and knock on doors at Super Bowl parties. He seemed to get a kick out of it, but I was amazed he never got his ass kicked.

As for this year, I'm helping someone move in the morning and then enjoying the game with some friends. Probably leave midway through the third quarter when the Patriots are up by four touchdowns.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wrong football, chef ... wrong damned sport.

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Working desk, just like any other night where something interesting is going on. Friends outside the office will be living it up in front of a hi-def.

That said, it is Patriots-Giants. Yawn.....

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Will be at home watching with my two boys. They were rooting against the local team making it to the Super Bowl so I wouldn't have to work that night. :)

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

great post.

6. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I'll be hungover, on my way home from enjoying a night on the town after covering a game Saturday night.

And when I get home, I'll enjoy another night of beer and bourbon.

7. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The annual Pencil Dick and Mrs. Pencil Dick extravaganza.

We mailed invitations to 25 people - the current girl/boy ratio of guests is 14:11, I believe ... and my wife has some really attractive friends. As of this writing, no one has called to say they aren't coming. At least one SportsJournalists.commer is on the invite list, and possibly two.

Turn us down once, that's OK. Stuff happens. Turn us down two years running, you get taken off the invite list - no exceptions. A couple of my favorite colleagues stiffed us two years in a row early on and got the boot, never to be welcomed back.

Sunday's menu includes: Hot wings & tequila lime wings; grilled Nathan's hot dogs; spinach dip; White Chicken chili with cheese, sour cream, etc.; queso dip with ground beef; pizza dip with homemade bread; homemade sausage balls; salsa, possible homemade with cilantro; "7-layer Fiesta Dip"; ham rolls on Sister Schubert yeast rolls; veggie tray with dip; homemade brownies; mini-pecan pies.

Did I mention Mrs. PD is a fantastic cook?

Beers will include Yuengling, Michelob Ultra, Miller Lite and Peroni. Wine selections TBA.

Also, 3 to 4 gallons of frozen margaritas. And four TVs on which to watch the game.

I'd invite y'all, but all chairs are spoken for.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

WORKING. YAY!!!

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I do know this -- if another Jehovah's Witness knocks on my door during the Super Bowl this year, there will be two bodies buried in my backyard.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I plan to go to a bar to watch the game with my karaoke friends.

My dad doesn't follow sports at all. If the Redskins were playing in it, he might watch it with me. But since they're not in it, I figure I'll go somewhere and be around other folks who appreciate the game.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I never thought I'd ever say this: I want to hang out with Pencil Dick.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Looking at that menu, I would too.

"All right dad, but the diet doesn't start until after the Super Bowl."

Draft saved Draft deleted